Profile Migration Via USB?

Christopher11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hi. I am excited to say my new (to me) MB Pro 15, 2015 is here! I plan to transfer my apps and profile / info from my old 2012 MB Pro. However, the FW to Thunderbolt adapter I ordered is still in the mail, and won't arrive until Monday. I understand I could use an external HD... but other than that, is there another way to transfer, laptop to laptop?

Thank you for any replies.

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
I believe the best way to do this is by using an external drive as "the intermediary".

Have you actually booted and created a new account on the NEW MBP yet?
If so, THIS COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS with the migration if you're not careful about how you do it.

The best way (again, my opinion only) is to do it this way (condensed version):
- Take the NEW Mac out of the box, but DO NOT PRESS the power on button yet.
- Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a cloned backup on an external drive on the OLD Mac.
- Connect the cloned backup to the NEW Mac and NOW press the power on button.
- Begin setup. At the right moment setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate from another drive.
- Point setup assistant at the backup and give it a few minutes to "digest" everything
- Setup assistant will now present you with a checklist of stuff to migrate. I suggest you migrate everything, and "let 'er go".
- This will take some time so again be patient.
- When done, you should see your login screen, just as on the old computer.

IF you have already created a new account, there are ways to "fix this".
But that's a topic for another reply.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Thank you sincerely for this excellent response. I actually haven't taken it out of the box yet, so this is possible. What if I did power on, but using only the generic account the seller provided? (not creating my own account yet)

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
"What if I did power on, but using only the generic account the seller provided?"

Do you know for a fact that the seller DID provide a "generic account"?
I realize that -- unless he told you so -- the only way to find out is to open it and power it up.

Did he in fact tell you this?

IF there is a generic account on it (which occupies the "501" space in accounts), you can get rid of it by doing the following:

1. Boot up and log into the generic account, which I think would be set up as an administrator.
2. IMMEDIATELY go to the users & groups preference pane, click the lock and enter the administrative password
3. Now, click on the "+" sign. We are going to create a NEW account that will occupy the "502" space.
4. MAKE SURE you give the new account administrative privileges. Give it a simple name and password (such as "temp" for both).
5. Once this is done, log OUT of the generic account and now log into the "temp" account.
6. Now GO BACK to users & groups and log in with the temp password.
7. Click on the generic account, and hit the "-" sign. We are going to DELETE it.
8. Don't archive it if the option is offered, just GET RID of it.
9. Now, the "501 space" is empty and ready for your ACTUAL account (which is on the backup drive).
10. Connect the backup and open migration assistant.
11. Give migration assistant time to digest everything (could be a few minutes).
12. I'd just leave everything checked and let the migration begin.
13. It will take some time.
14. When done, migration assistant should bring over your old account, and "drop it into" the empty "501 space". That's why we needed to create a temp account, and then delete the generic account which was occupying that space.
15. Now you can log out of the temp account, and log into your regular account. Look around to be sure things are right.

You can now either delete the temp account, or leave it around. I'd leave it around -- it takes up no space, and you never know when you might need to use it again.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
This might sound unrelated, but can you post a link where I could download High Sierra? Not an update, the original OS. I need to install it on the external drive before I can SuperDuper my drive from this 2012 macbook. Thank you.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Hi. I am excited to say my new (to me) MB Pro 15, 2015 is here! I plan to transfer my apps and profile / info from my old 2012 MB Pro. However, the FW to Thunderbolt adapter I ordered is still in the mail, and won't arrive until Monday. I understand I could use an external HD... but other than that, is there another way to transfer, laptop to laptop?

Thank you for any replies.
You can use migration assistant over WiFi between computers without any issue. When you get the new computer, I strongly urge you to reformat it using internet recovery so you know that you have a clean operating system installed. The macOS installer will walk you through the migration process after you complete the reinstallation.
There is no need to mess with external drives or adding and deleting users to accomplish this process.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
You can use migration assistant over WiFi between computers without any issue. When you get the new computer, I strongly urge you to reformat it using internet recovery so you know that you have a clean operating system installed. The macOS installer will walk you through the migration process after you complete the reinstallation.
There is no need to mess with external drives or adding and deleting users to accomplish this process.
Really!? Interesting. I did this with my new iphone, I was thinking it would be convenient for computers as well. It's a professional Apple dealer, and I had him install Mojave for me; I have the impression it is a little better right now for Logic and my other apps. I haven't opened it yet, but I have it.

So I understand you are suggesting internet recover, but could I theoretically open the machine, power it on and do profile migration from my 2012 Macbook via wifi?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.