Profile Page Idea

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by yoyo5280, May 5, 2008.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Now, I understand that this may sound crazy but I think it will be really awesome because macrumors is a friendly community and much of what is discussed here is not always apple related so here I go...

Social Network Site style Profile Pages that allow you to
    Post Pictures
    Post youtube videos
    Post Comments on others pages
    Comment on Photos, Videos, Music (icompositions), and avatar

Of course, you can disable some functions for security reasons.

So I just want to get your comments on this and I would like to know if this is possible. I know it is pretty crazy.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

3. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

That's what I (rarely) use Facebook for. No thanks. :rolleyes:

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

IIRC you're not the first one to want to make MR more like Facebook.

The simple answer is that if you'd like to share who you are, just link your Facebook/Blog/whatever in your profile or signature.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ Great suggestion, that's a far better idea than making the site FaceRumors :p.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here's an example of what expanded profile pages could look like. Which features are highly desirable? Which are useless clutter? Let us know your thoughts about it.

Example taken from vbulletin.com:

Attached Files:

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Everything except the top left corner is clutter. I think profiles are fine as they are. I hate social networking stuff.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Couldn't agree more.

One of the things I like about MR is that it follows the KISS formula to the letter.

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm jumping ship if we go to a Facebook-style look. :(

10. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Sorry you guys don't like it however, you don't have to use this and I don't see the reason why you leave just because of this.

Anyways the ones that are clutter are
    Mini Stats
    Maybe Useful Information
    Group MemberShips
    Recent Visitors.

I like the comments, photos, and about me. Thats all!

Arigatz 4 your feedback on the idea and thanks DocterQ

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You shouldn't be sorry for having an idea.

You should just see our point of view as well.
    Again, you can tell others quite a bit about yourself with MR's current profile setup. You can also have a profile picture and show your group memberships.

If you want comments, photo albums, and more extensive biographies, what you actually want is something along the lines of a Facebook profile, which MR is not meant to be.

If you feel comfortable sharing that information with others, you can link many things in your profile that would achieve the same result.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I could see a comments page turning into a popularity contest and others getting upset about it. It would take away from the point of the site.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

++ You could just make those parts of your Facebook profile public and link them to here as your website.

14. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

These types of features turn into a "look at me" mentality, very much like myspace and facebook. Allowing multiple photos would require additional moderation, additional database space (and this is a privately owned site) and opens the door to potential spam and advertising.

An About Me section already exists. Comments would be interesting but again it's really just a popularity thing in the end...which is basically spam.

15. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Yeah, you'll have to post pictures of your self/girl you know in tight T-shirts, start threads about your teenage angst, whine about gas prices, and (my personal favorite) ask for medical advice for serious symptoms like the rest of us if you want people to "look at you" ;) :eek:

16. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I see your points..I don't post pictures of me cause I am a privacy freak but I would like to post Gimps and photography I take and get your feedback...

I also see your points on comments...I also see your points about the comments on profile pages. I am not really sure why I want to do so on others, but I think it would be fun

Unfortunately the side effects of this may be bad, so majority of you don't want it to happen. Am I correct?

17. BigPrince macrumors 68020