Prog Rights

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Yeoboy, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Yeoboy macrumors newbie

I bought a 2007 7.1 Imac second hand 18 months ago, The seller had loaded a lot of programmes i would like to keep,I am to upgrade to an i7 27" and assume i wont retain these progs,The seller had told me he had a volume lisence,I have heard of migrating,What advise guys? i have no idea.

2. macuser453787 macrumors 6502

I'd be very careful about this. People can say a lot of things that aren't true, particularly when a sale or money is involved in some way. If the seller really had a volume license for the installed programs then they should have been able to supply you with installers for the programs and serial numbers/activation codes, or at least with some documentation or proof stating that they truly had authorized volume licensing from the relevant software companies.

I've seen sellers advertise used Macs complete with a whole host of installed programs that they include to "sweeten the deal" or entice potential buyers by trying to make it look like a better value than just selling the computer with only the OS installed. I believe that most likely what's happening in those cases is that the sellers have a master hard drive that actually has licensed versions of the programs, which they use to clone to the hard drives that get sold with each computer. Either that or they have some way of using hacked serial numbers/activation codes for each install. Either way, those methods are not legitimate but are a form of piracy.