Program Folders - Documents

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tjb1, Sep 3, 2010.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Im trying to use my documents folder just for documents I create. Im new to Mac and just started using Mac for the first time in my life about a month ago so im still getting use to everything but when I goto my documents folder I notice alot of programs have folders in there and I remember when I deleted one before a program quit working so I had to restore it. Is there a way to move these but allow the programs to still work or are they stuck there?

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

Your Documents folder should not contain any files but your own. Are you sure you aren't somewhere else?

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I think that, to answer this one safely, you'll need to confirm that it is definitely your Documents folder we're talking about , and also, which applications are putting files in there and what are they?

4. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

No im under documents in OSx, Starcraft 2 has stuff stored there and programs running on windows through parallels store stuff there...here is a screenshot

Attached Files:

5. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Microsoft User Data is normal (well, normal for Microsoft Office...). Can't comment on the rest.

6. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well DVDFab is storing log and temp files, Blizzard is storing starcraft 2 which is storing gamelogs, accounts, variables...Solidworks has I think its install files from windows and Parallels has "Windows 7.pvm" What is a pvm file?

7. mac2x macrumors 65816

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't all that stuff usually be in ~/Library/Application Support?

8. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Re: MS Office (2004 at least)...yes it should...but it just dumps the user data in Documents. Always has AFAIK.

9. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

I checked the PVM and its actually Windows 7, 32 GB so I guess thats just the OS...If I move the stuff is it going to update all the access commands so it will find it?

10. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Parallels, Sim City, and numerous others also create a "resource" folder in the Documents folder. I guess the developers decided that app info related to YOU should be stored in YOUR docs folder.