Program for transcribing real-time guitar playing?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Vinda-lou, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Vinda-lou macrumors member

I've been trying to find a program that would work on the Macbook Air that would automatically transcribe what I play on guitar. I use a Line 6 Pod HD to connect my guitar to the computer, and fiddle around with Garageband.

I know there are programs out there that can transcribe music, but I cannot discern if they can do so with real-time playing. Maybe it doesn't exist. I've looked into Guitar Pro 6, etc., but it doesn't seem to do what I need. Any ideas?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. BubbaMc macrumors regular

For this to work you'll need a MIDI converter so your guitar outputs data in MIDI, not just an analog signal. Look at offerings from Roland, Graphtech etc. Note these solutions are not cheap.

In Guitar Pro 6, the pitches will be recognized by the computer, however the rhythm notation still needs to be done manually. Sibelius/Finale/Logic may transcribe the correct rhythm notation, it's worth a look.

4. Vinda-lou, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

Vinda-lou thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I've been looking at Logic Express 9. Strange thing is, Amazon lists it as the old one, so maybe 10 is coming out soon?

Edit: Still new to this... The Line 6 Pod HD (bean) cannot allow Logic Express to transcribe? I use it to plug into the MBA and play through Garage Band via USB.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Well sort of. Sibelius comes bundled with a "lite" version software that can convert audio to MIDI and then of course MIDI to notation is not so hard. I think the bundled package is called "audioscore".

http://www.neuratron.com/audioscore.htm

The above site has a free demo download

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Yes, that sounds right.

OP -- did you want to convert from an audio source, or a midi source? (as a previous poster implied?)

7. Vinda-lou thread starter macrumors member

My goal is this: I play guitar and want to be able to play, experiment, come up with riffs etc. while the program "records" it as tablature. I come up with some decent riffs, but can't stop and easily write it down, with rhythm, with I play. I know musicians for centuries have made due, but I was hoping that there was a program to do this.

I use a Line 6 Pod HD bean. Guitar into the Pod, Pod to the Macbook Air for playing in Garage Band.

I understand that something like what I'm looking for might not exist, but I'm hoping. Thanks.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it does exist. see Chris' post, #5.

9. Vinda-lou thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the help. I'm still recovering from sticker shocks :)

I have an educational discount for the Apple store, so I was hoping Logic Express did all of this as Christmas is around the corner.

Anyway, appreciate the assistance. I'm going to look into Sibelius too.