Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcatgifts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I need a program to start designing my website and need help with which is the best one to choose. I have been using ekm for it but it's too expensive for my needs as this is a hobby. I need to be able to design a website offline and just upload it when needed. I have virtually no budget to spend but don't mind paying a one off fee to get what I want just don't want to be paying every month. I need it to look classy and the big thing for it is I need to able to sell my items online through a shopping cart as I have alot of items at different weights and sizes etc and need to be able to set all this up quite easily. I've done many websites before just not using a mac but I haven't got loads of time to put into it unfortunately. Can anyone give me some suggestions of programs I can look at.
Thanks

emiljan

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Michigan
Are you looking for a text editor or a WYSIWYG editor? If you want a text editor then i would look at Coda or PHPStorm. Both are pretty powerful IDE's for web design.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Is this the EKM you refer to? http://www.ekmpowershop.com/

If so, I don't think you are looking in the right place or the right tool.

Sell online using PayPal? Check out their supported hosts.

I am a Yahoo store developer and am partial to that platform for small business. That is probably out of your price range.

blackcatgifts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Is this the EKM you refer to? http://www.ekmpowershop.com/

If so, I don't think you are looking in the right place or the right tool.

Sell online using PayPal? Check out their supported hosts.

I am a Yahoo store developer and am partial to that platform for small business. That is probably out of your price range.

Hi Yes thats the ekm I was talking about

Are you looking for a text editor or a WYSIWYG editor? If you want a text editor then i would look at Coda or PHPStorm. Both are pretty powerful IDE's for web design.

I would prefer a WYSIWYG just purely because I haven't got that much free time and the quicker I can learn how to do things the better.

Check our rapidweaver that would be perfect for what your describing.

I did have a a look at rapidweaver but the comments about it on the app store don't sound too good, there are alot of people complaining about there being bugs in it.

I appreciate everybody's answers but at the moment I'm still stuck as to which program to go for.
Can anybody else help with any advice. Thanks

Just to add a bit more information about what I'm looking for. I have quite a lot of photos that need to be put into some sort of album and the people can click on the image they require and then be taken to a page of information about that image and be able to purchase it online. I have seen a nice feature in iWeb where you can add albums of photos but you don't seem to able to link them to another page. Hopefully someone on here knows of a program I can use. Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

blackcatgifts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Its obvious there are some problems with rapid weaver can anyone suggest anything else that would be suitable please for what I'm looking for.
What about sandvox? Would that be any better or worse than rapid weaver

NumeroTen

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Hey

On your thinka bout Rapidweaver having bad reviews on the app store. I've had it for quite a while and have experianced no such bugs.. the only think is when u set up things u must read the manual. However, i can also recommend word press, and sandvox is a good program to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.