Program hogging CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Luis Ortega, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have an app called Splashtop Streamer installed on my Mac Pro that lets me connect with my iPad so that I can mirror the Mac Pro desktop on the iPad and control it from the iPad.
    It's a nice app but nothing essential.

I notice that it, and a second, related process called SR Feature, are continually at the top of the CPU activity in Activity Monitor, with 98-100% usage almost continually.
    I notice that two of my 8 cores are continually maxed out.

The program doesn't seem to have an interface on my Mac Pro because when I start it nothing shows, but it must be running because I can connect to the Mac Pro from the iPad whenever I want.

I think that I want to uninstall it but I don't know how to go about it.
    Do I have to uninstall the Splashtop Remote app in the iPad to uninstall the Splashtop Streamer on my Mac Pro?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, kill the process you don't want in Activity Monitor. Then try removing the app you don't want from any of the following locations:
    • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
      (Lion users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/ and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

• /Library/StartupItems/
      (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)
    If it appeared there, that should prevent it from launching when you start up, unless the other app launches it.

As a next step, you can use the following instructions to remove only the app components you want to remove.