Program like iTunes but for videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simoncoul, Aug 27, 2007.

1. simoncoul macrumors member

Hey I am getting my new iMac soon and am gonna have to transfer all my videos over from my old PC. Currently I use just windows explorer to organize my videos(DVD rips of movies and TV shows), but this does not seem very mac like to be doing. Is there any programs out there that allow u to organize videos much the way that iTunes organizes music?

Thanks

Simon

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Why don't you just use iTunes? :)

You would need to convert your videos if they are not in an iTunes supported format but it will be worth it just for the ease of use of using iTunes for everything.

Edit : Bah too slow :(

4. CortexRock macrumors 6502

iTunes (at least the last couple of versions) has had the capability to manage video as well as music.

You'll need to use MP4 or H.264 encoding to get the best out of it, so you might need to re-encode your existing files. Try iSquint - should do the trick for you!

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Just to be clear, iTunes will play just about any video for which you have the proper QuickTime codec installed.

6. simoncoul thread starter macrumors member

So I'm assuming if I install perian I will be able to use itunes to mange all my videos as well, how is the support of multiple audio tracks and subtitles using perian and quicktime. I'm surprized that there are no programs like this tho.

Thanks again

7. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    That's the point. iTunes is that application.

8. simoncoul thread starter macrumors member

is it possible to keep my music and videos if different directories? Like my music on my desktop drive, and my videos on a NAS.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Yes. In iTunes Preferences -> Advanced, you can uncheck "Copy files when added to Library option". Then you can just drag and drop all of your videos on your NAS or external onto iTunes library on the sidebar and they will not get duplicated.

10. simoncoul thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help, now if my iMac would leave that sorting depo 30 minutes from my house and get to my door I will be in business!