program like mpgestream clip or hand brake for batch converting videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Is there an app that can batch convert multiple video files? I found one called mpegstream clip which is good, but it seems to only do one at a time, it there a feature in it that can do more than one at a time?

One at a time is ok for 4 videos or less, but when I have more than that it can get a little tedious.

Specifically, I need something that can batch convert my mpg movies files my point & shoot digicam can take to a format that imovie 09 will import & work with.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

After you have added files to MPEG Streamclip' Batch List, you choose the number of simultaneous tasks. It will not make the transcoding process faster though, as MPEG Streamclip already uses up to four cores or more.

[​IMG]

The .mov (QuickTime) container using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) and Uncompressed Audio will work with bringing videos into iMovie.
    If you have MPEG-2 encoded videos (the .mpg files are likely to have used that codec) you need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component as an addition to MPEG Streamclip, which can be bought for 20 USD at the Apple Online Store.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the visual, that really helps, but how do I get to this batch page to begin with?

on the format of the clips, someone in the apple discussion forums told me to use;

Personally, since your files are 640 x 480, I'd use export to QuickTime, set compression to Apple intermediate codec, quality at 90%, audio to AAC at 256 Kbps and frame size to other 640 x 480 and leave the other settings alone.

Another person told me to use the 640 x 480 setting with no scaling. So I am not sure which 640 x 480 setting to use, the 4:3 one or the 640 x 480 with no scaling.

I was also told I would not need the quicktime component if mpeg stream clip could convert the movies without it.

If this is any help for you to advise on what to convert the files to

My camera takes .mpg digital files in 2 settings;

1) 640 x 480 @ 25fps "standard mode"

and

2) 640 x 480 @ 30fps "fine mode" , in this mode the movement is more fluid & realistic.

I think the sound is in mono.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I thought you already have used Batch List. If not, use CMD+B to open it.

640 x 480 = 4 x 3 , 640/4 = 160, 480/3 = 160, thus choose whatever you like, but make sure the iMovie Project settings are set to NTSC and NOT Widescreen. I use uncompressed audio, as it does not take that much HDD capacity away anyway (660MB for one hour of stereo audio at 16bit and 48kHz) and avoids errors down the road.

If QuickTime or MPEG Streamclip is able to open the file(s), no QT MPEG-2 Playback Component is needed, but if the file(s) use(s) the MPEG-2 codec, you need it or go via Handbrake.

I don't know what codec is used, but try for yourself what settings work best for you. The letter is closer to NTSC (29.97 fps), the first is PAL (25fps), but the resolution is too small for PAL (768/720 x 576), thus the latter fps settings is also in compliance with the resolution and the iMovie project settings.

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there a batch convert throught the tolbar menu at the top when I have mpeg streamclip open?

among the settings in mpeg stream clip, I was told to use the 640 x 480 settings because this is what my movies are in; which of the 2 should I use? 640 x 480 unscaled, or 640 x 480 4:3? should I use 100% in apple intermediate codec? or is 90% good? since you advise uncompressed audio?

for any given project I have going in imove 09, if I have a mixture of the 640 x 480 25fps PAL, & 640 x 480 30fps, closest to NTSC, I choose NTSC in the project settings? even if some of the movie files are closer to PAL?

I know I am asking alot, but I dont want to have to keep going over & over my movies files reconverting to get the best settings, I want to get the best to begin with, ones that will not give me errors in imovie.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does CMD+B not work to open Batch List? Anyway, it is found via the List menu item.

Unscaled, 100% (but you set the quality percentage to whatever you like, there is no difference - I just did an example for 10%, 50% and 100%, all resulting files are the same size and look the same), uncompressed audio is set via the SOUND drop down menu, below the quality slider and above the resolutions check list.

I don't quite understand, if you ask questions ("?") or if you use the "?" as a full stop (period).
    Do you have mixed sources all over the place (25fps and 30fps) and use an NTSC project? If so, see if the transcoding of 25fps to 30fps results in any strange artefacts or other "issues", btw. I don't see an option to change the frame rate in the export dialog. If you shot more video with your camera, make sure to use one setting from now on, 640x480 - 30fps.
    Do you experience any issues importing 25fps videos into your NTSC project? Have you ever viewed a finished via a video DVD on a telly?

Has MRoogle brought any information?

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I will export to quick time using uncompressed sound, apple intermediate codec, unscaled 640 x 480 at 100%. Do I need to adjust any other settings? or leave all these at default checked off?

Yes, I have mixed sources, (25fps & 30fps) and plan to use an NTSC project. I have not made a finished DVD yet with imovie 09, I am just trying to get the best settings possible. Once I have imported the sources into the project pane, the movie clips seem to play ok.

Yes this is what I plan on doing, shooting at the higher rate from camera, the only reason I used the pal setting was it gave me double the amount of time on a memory card, & when my family want o use it, they are often overzealous with recording & want to film everything.

My cameras seem to only accept up to a max of a 4gb memeory stick produo.