Program/method to rotate a video image?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tonsorock, Jun 19, 2009.

1. tonsorock macrumors newbie

This might be a weird one...occasionally I've downloaded a video clip — usually recorded on a webcam or cellphone — where the image is sideways. In Photoshop, there's a rotate feature for left or right 90°, 180° and custom, but is there any program like this for video where you can rotate it and save it in the correct position?

I'm not looking for some massive movie-production program, as I'm sure they have special effect features that do this; I'm hoping there might be a video conversion program of something of that nature...

Thanks in advance!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Open in quick time

"Window" menu / Show Movie Properties

Select video track / Visual Settings

And flip rotate

3. tonsorock thread starter macrumors newbie

I have QT 7.6.2, but not PRO and that menu choice is grayed out with the word PRO next to it.

Before I go to the step of purchasing this, and to confirm a question I asked in my original post, will this allow me to save it in this newly-rotated form, or is this just a temporary viewing feature while I've viewing it in QT on my computer? Ultimately, I want to burn it to DVD and play in a Pioneer standalone player on my regular TV, but not if the image is sideways!

Thanks!

4. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I would like and answer to this too since I have a video that is slightly tilted.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yes, by getting QuickTime Pro, it will enable you to save it in the rotated form. Not only that, but it will allow you to export it to a numerous amount of formats. As much as I wish QuickTime Pro were free, it's a very helpful application when you do video editing.

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

For you actually, QTpro might not be the best choice -- it allows you to rotate the video in 90-degree increments only. It won't allow you to rotate it only slightly.

7. wesrk macrumors 6502a

good to know, thanks
    I ended up using windows movie maker, little app and free