Program mover

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JWFerne, Sep 17, 2007.

1. JWFerne macrumors regular

Is there any type of archiving program out there that will take a program i'm not using and archive it and move it to another drive, remembering where everything went in the system folders. I'm talking more than just pulling out the program out of the Applications folder. Sometimes they have control panel items, library items etc. There are some programs I'd like to bring back later, but not on a permanent basis.

I'm trying to declutter my system and I've found so much leftover crap. Actually does anyone know a good program to skim through all this garbage and see what isn't linked to a program anymore?

Cheers!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just spotlight the program name and delete all plist files and what have you. Then drag the application icon onto the other drive. Sorted.

3. JWFerne thread starter macrumors regular

In theory wouldn't that corrupt a program like iMovie for example? You'd loose all your sound effects, transitions etc. because they are stored in the library, user and system folders?

Sure the application could be transferred back, but you'd loose a lot of essentials, wouldn't you? I would assume there are plenty of other programs that stick necessary files throughout the computer.

For another example... Joost. I don't use it and would love to archive the program, but I have a feeling that if I did a spotlight search and deleted everything except the program file I'll be fubared later if I try and drag to the apps folder.

Reason I'm trying to do this is to lighten the load so to speak on my MacBook Pro of programs I'm not using right now.

Thanks!

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

iMovie is a bit different. It installs a ton of templates and effects everywhere. Standard applications like for example NeoOffice or VLC would not suffer these problems. General rule of thumb if the program requires an installer it is going to be a little trickier to backup.