Program similar to iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toothnail7, Apr 22, 2009.

1. toothnail7 macrumors newbie

Hello -

I am going to purchase a photo organizing/editing program soon (probably iPhoto), but I was wondering if there are any online, free, or inexpensive programs that are comparable.

The program that I buy must fit this criteria:

-Sufficient storage for many digital photos (This would eliminate Picasa's free service)
    -Compatible with OS Tiger 10.4x
    -Easy organization such as thumbnail viewing (or comparable to iPhoto's "Events")

Currently, I am trying to find a used copy of iLife '08, but many seem overpriced considering that iLife '09 is out. Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $35.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. toothnail7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, Picasa would be perfect if they had more storage for free users. 1GB for all photos wouldn't be enough. Would it be worth paying for it?

3. toothnail7 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

For a PROGRAM and you want free - go with Picasa (similar to iPhoto). These are programs you run on your computer and is not an on-line storage system.

On-line you have Picasa Web Albums to go with Picasa and MobileMe (not free, but pointing out the relationship between program and on-line service) to go with iPhoto, plus all the others that offer some level of free (smugmug, flickr, pbase to name a few).

So...are you asking for MobileMe alternatives or are you looking for iPhoto alternatives?

5. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

It sounds to me like you are asking for two separate things:

1) Image editing application, which is software

and

2) Free Online photo storage

For free image editing software, I'd go with Picasa.

For free online photo storage, go with the free Picasa service or give google search a try.

Personally, I pay for web space. I get total control over how things look and nearly unlimited email addresses.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm pretty sure that the OP is asking for an all-in-one, which doesn't really exist.

7. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

iPhoto does not come with online storage so I dont understand why he doesn't like Picasa's 1 GB