Program Stuck In Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thriii, Jul 9, 2007.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

Hello :) I'm posting because of a problem I've had lately.. sometimes my programs get stuck with the spinning wheel and force quit from the dock doesn't work, so I open up terminal and kill the app..the app quickly disappears from my screen but there is still an arrow pointing up at it from the doc. What do I do to fix this???

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

3. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

i look up the PID and do kill PID... i heard of kill -9 PID but the program is no longer in the list for me to try

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

5. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

isnt that the same thing as right clicking in the dog and force quitting?

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

can't just try kill -9 (pid)?

what kind of apps is this happening with? and what do you mean by no longer in the list? the forcequit list or the activity monitor list or a list of running processes or..

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

You get the option to quit not force quit

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

when an application is hanging, the quit option turns to forcequit. optionally you can hold down the option key.

9. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

is there anything i can do as far as the programs bein stuck in the dock now? what causes this problem?

10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Cheers ... you learn something new every day.

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

the only thing i could think of is forcequit not working or it being a zombie process. it would be lovely if you could try the kill -9 if it's not a zombie process (can't kill zombies, duh).

12. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm? when i click the items that i killed from before it doesnt say the program name in the upper left.. so they r pretty stuck now what can i do? already tried killin dock and all that did was put the programs last on my dock

what is a zombie process? i guess its what im havin now but what causes them? and theres absolutely nothin to do but restart?

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

could you try the kill -9 first? :p sometimes the apple forcequit sucks, there's different kill signals that do different things, and -9 is the "strongest", so to speak. use activity monitor or something like top to find the pid.

zombie processes are when a process is complete but the parent process hasn't dealt with it yet. it doesn't use any resources or anything, but I have seen it happen occasionally.

14. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

the problem is i dont see the program in top anymore.. its yahoo messenger but i cant find it in there so theres no PID for me to try the -9 on it..and i did resize top to see all the processes is this normal?

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

odd, top should show zombie processes as well. i guess there isn't much to do except wait or restart. eventually it should resolve itself. i've encountered similar issues with some other apps and usually a kill -9 or short wait resolved it.

16. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

thx 4 the help :) ill just try kill -9 the next time instead of just kill n hopefully that works if this happens agn :) off to bed i go :p thx agn

17. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

well im having problems again... kill -9 (yahoo pid number) didnt get rid of the yahoo simble with the arrow in the dock.. so I have to restart. Is there something that causes this in programs? :confused: