Program that gets rid of the files previous programs left behind??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Jan 24, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

Basically, before I started using AppZapper for complete removal of the programs, I was just doing the drag'n'drop thing to the Trash when uninstalling programs.

Now I do not wish to keep my MBP polluted with unnecessary cache and other "remnants" of the previous programs that might not have been removed completely by the drag & drop method.

I've downloaded CleanApp, but from the looks of things it seems just like another AppZapper type of a program - for deleting current applications. However, I'd need something to look for possible remains of my previously installed programs.

Is there such a program?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

do a Spotlight search for the application name and/or the developer name in a Finder window with "System files - Included" added (you may need to add it from others) and then Trash the files/folders from there.

to be extra careful add the Path bar to the Finder window from the View menu to see where the file is. the files will most likey come from the Caches, Application Support and Preferences directories.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hm but the thing is I don't remember all the applications I've tried...some I only installed to see what they offer and when I found out I wouldn't utilize them just deleted them...

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try looking around the folders i mentioned above in List view and sort by "Date Modified". this will tell you which files and folders you havent written to in a while. Trash the non Apple ones and the ones you know you arent using.

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Edit: just read your post all the way thru lol. Ya I usually just search in spotlight and delete whatever comes up that seems as if it were related to the app. It's usually .plist files and application support folders.