Program that monitors disk health?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rawdawg, Dec 1, 2013.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

So I finally have my backup solution that finally works. This involves having backups through CCC of each hard drive onto backup harddrives at night. I use TimeMachine for my system but need true backups for my media.

A few years ago I saw someone with a MBP who had an icon in his toolbar that told him when a drive was failing. This was handy at the time because someone from work gave us a external HDD to put media on and he recognized it was failing and was able to alert the person giving it to him.

I would like to know when one of my drives is going bad. All my drives are in Voyager Q docks which according to my "SpeedTools" program does not support SMART status.

Does anyone know a program that would be good for my needs?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

But if my Voyager Q docks don't support SMART status wouldn't that not work?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Correct. In that case, nothing will be able to monitor disk health. Don't forget, SMART is only a rough estimate of disk health. A drive can still fail or be bad if the SMART passes. It can also still be used for many more years if the SMART fails without a problem as well.

5. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've read a little about ProSoft Engineering's software DrivePulse which is part of Drive Genius 3. It sounded as if the program worked in the background detecting read/write errors. It doesn't sound in any way related to SMART.

If anyone has any experience with this program do they think this would be useful in the case where I don't have SMART support?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

SMARTReporter does that as well. It check the kernel log for disk I/O errors.