Program to add a Real maximize button?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chelsel, Jun 6, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

Are there any Mac programs that will let you modify the behavior of the Mac interface? For example, I'd like a real maximize button that takes up the whole screen. I'd also like a program such as this one that I recently started using for Windows:

http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/

It lets you make windows transparent, stick to the top, size & place in exact locations, roll-ups, etc.

Thanks!

Cliff.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The green button is NOT the maximize button. It is the Zoom button - hence why it doesn't make windows fill the screen. It is meant to be used to size a window to best fit its content, as a multitasking aid. Also, the Mac OS has never had a "real" maximize button, as you put it. If I were you, I'd try to learn the Mac way - you might like it better ;)

Having said all that, no, I do not know of a program that can do what you describe. However, I do know that various themers and "haxies" exist to modify the Mac OS X interface. I do NOT recommend their use - they tend to cause more problems than they solve.

3. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought "zoom" was Ctrl+ and Ctrl- or the "symbol that that isn't Prince's name" and plus/minus sign.

Zoom also implies you can repeatedly zoom... is that the case... if this is a one-off 'zoom' then I think Maximize makes more sense... sounds like a good plugin to write though.

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Some programs have a "full screen" mode, but OS X wasn't designed for you to have one big window filling up your whole screen. That's why we have exposé.