Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I converted about 100 old video tapes. I'd like to save some time. Instead of going through them all I was wondering if there are any programs that will scan the video file and create photo thumbnails at a specific interval?

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
I converted about 100 old video tapes....are any programs that will scan the video file and create photo thumbnails at a specific interval?

By "scan the video file", this assumes you've already captured the tape to a video file, which requires some kind of playback device with a compatible digital interface to your Mac. Unfortunately video tape capture can only happen in real time. Thus if you have 100 six-hour tapes, that is 600 hours required to capture those to files.

Once the tapes exist as files there are various apps to catalog these and make thumbnails. One of the best is NeoFinder: http://www.cdfinder.de/

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
By "scan the video file", this assumes you've already captured the tape to a video file, which requires some kind of playback device with a compatible digital interface to your Mac. Unfortunately video tape capture can only happen in real time. Thus if you have 100 six-hour tapes, that is 600 hours required to capture those to files.

Once the tapes exist as files there are various apps to catalog these and make thumbnails. One of the best is NeoFinder: http://www.cdfinder.de/

Thanks for the reply, I did already convert the files. Four tapes a day for weeks now, now I just want to find a quicker way to see what Eason them. I'm not looking to view all those video files in real time.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Update...

I tried Neo-Finder, it seems like a great program, but $40 seemed a bit stiff for the limited use I had for this. I won'y have a lot of need for all the features after the project is finished.

I found the perfect low cost program. Its called "Fast Video Finder", its available from the mac store, and was only $5. It did everything I needed, even does a whole directory in one shot.

I also wasted another $5 on a dud, and tried a trial version of something didn't even work. I'd say "Fast Video File" was what I was looking for.

Reactions: Unami
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.