Program to find and remove lower quality music?

Ctt713

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
I have recently started to re-rip most of my music collection in flac but as a result I am ending up with many duplicates. I have found many programs such as MrClean that find duplicates of songs but I do not want to accidentally delete the high quality mp3's or flac files. Is there any program that can do this for me? I would prefer it free but I would be willing to pay 10 dollars or so if the program is legit. Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can always File > Display Duplicates, then sort by Bit Rate to identify the lower quality items.

Ctt713

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
I have done that to remove them from iTunes but they still seem to exist on my hard drive. I would always hit move to trash but it ends up just removing them from iTunes only.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have done that to remove them from iTunes but they still seem to exist on my hard drive. I would always hit move to trash but it ends up just removing them from iTunes only.
Here's how you remove them from the drive:
Screenshot  2.PNG
Note the circled message.

Ctt713

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Exactly,my problem is my music is not in my iTunes media folder because it would cause an issue with duplicates in iTunes.

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
You can always try to use Smart Playlists to do this. Have it find files with bit rates lower than you specify.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can always try to use Smart Playlists to do this. Have it find files with bit rates lower than you specify.
The OP's problem is that even if you find them in iTunes, because they're not in the iTunes Music Folder, you can't delete the files from iTunes. A Smart Playlist won't help.

UpDownAeroplane

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
wait, why are you ripping in FLAC? do you really have the audio equipment to tell the difference between FLAC and a high-quality mp3? i suggest V0 rips or 320 CBR rather than FLAC.