Program to find and remove lower quality music?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ctt713, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Ctt713 macrumors member

I have recently started to re-rip most of my music collection in flac but as a result I am ending up with many duplicates. I have found many programs such as MrClean that find duplicates of songs but I do not want to accidentally delete the high quality mp3's or flac files. Is there any program that can do this for me? I would prefer it free but I would be willing to pay 10 dollars or so if the program is legit. Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can always File > Display Duplicates, then sort by Bit Rate to identify the lower quality items.

3. Ctt713 thread starter macrumors member

I have done that to remove them from iTunes but they still seem to exist on my hard drive. I would always hit move to trash but it ends up just removing them from iTunes only.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here's how you remove them from the drive:
    Screenshot  2.PNG
    Note the circled message.

5. Ctt713 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly,my problem is my music is not in my iTunes media folder because it would cause an issue with duplicates in iTunes.

6. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

7. IronLogik macrumors 6502

You can always try to use Smart Playlists to do this. Have it find files with bit rates lower than you specify.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP's problem is that even if you find them in iTunes, because they're not in the iTunes Music Folder, you can't delete the files from iTunes. A Smart Playlist won't help.

9. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Consolidate first then.

10. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

wait, why are you ripping in FLAC? do you really have the audio equipment to tell the difference between FLAC and a high-quality mp3? i suggest V0 rips or 320 CBR rather than FLAC.