Program to hardsub animes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aoaaron, Apr 6, 2012.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

Is there a program for mac other than handbrake which can convert an mkv with softsubs to an mkv or mp4 with hardsubs?

Handbrake does a good job except with a certain font... Wanted to see how other program's do

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

May want to ask this in the apple tv/ home theatre forum. Probably get more answers quicker.

I use Handbrake as well. And it seems there are time it doesn't get the subs in there...never notice if it was a certain font though.

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Subler will convert it without rencoding video, and keeping softsubs in a format compatible with quicktime/ios.

4. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

please explain how! i tried this and it didn't work!! i don't think i understood how to get it worked/what options.

5. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Should just be a case of "Opening" the mkv, going with default options, ticking the 64bit box if file is >4gb to be safe, and then starting the queue, which is annoyingly easy to miss I grant, need to open queue window from window menu and click start there, and probably tick auto start queue for future, also.

Has worked fine for me with what I've tested so far. Using 0.15b3

6. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

Its a 300MB anime mkv.

I opened it, I click add. Then I click start.

The file ends up with no hardcoded subs, the subtitles lose their styling and font also.

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It does not hardcode subs as noted, I'm not sure what it's supposed to do with styling and fonts nor what quicktime/iOS support for such is like, I just know that it allowed me to convert an mkv with subtitles into an .m4v without it taking all day due to not needing to rencode video and lose more detail by doing so. If it does not preserve these to liking, then it is quite possible it's not the tool for you.

8. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks anyway for ur suggestion then... it looks like a very good program for the future anyway, I'm sure it'll be of use! sad it couldn't be this time. :(