Program to join a video file and audio file together (NOT one after the other)??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by marathonbear, Sep 10, 2011.

1. marathonbear macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Newbie here. I hope I can get some help with this. Here's the situation...

I upload a lot of videos to Youtube. About a month ago, my av cord (1 video input, L & R audio) stopped working right. I bought another cord but it only partly worked (video + only 1 audio input). Over the past month, I've bought 4 cords and none have worked properly. A couple give me video only but one gives me audio from both channels. What I've been doing is recording the video then recording the audio to make movies in imovie. It's a pain because they're 2 separate files so the audio file is long and has to be spliced and cropped as I go. It was so much easier when I had a working cord so I could just split video clips and have the accompanying audio right there when I did.

Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to combine the audio file to the video file? In other words, I want to take a video file and join an audio file to it so that the new, combined file will play like a normal video with the audio attached, as I had before my cord broke. This would help me a lot. Yes, I could buy another cord but honestly, the things seem so cheap and I'm really frustrated with having had so many that failed. I have to assume there's some (free) program that will allow me to do what I'd like.

Thanks so much in advance and any help is greatly appreciated.

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

3. marathonbear thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd actually use several different formats so both digital and analog.

It's really just a matter of creating the audio joined in sync with the video. As an alternative, if someone knows a way to turn a mono audio track into stereo within a video file, that'd work too. One of the cords I have allows me to do video but just one audio channel. If I could somehow get that to be stereo from the mono part of the audio, that'd be great. Granted, it wouldn't be true stereo but at least the audio would come from both speakers instead of one.

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Duplicate your channel, but I don't think it'd work in iMovie. On the other hand, if you use a panning function, you can have your mono on both channels.

5. RonsMac macrumors newbie

Mono should play out of both speakers. Or if you have a track that is left and right channel has nothing you could use audacity to make one mono channel. Then bring into your video program. Or most video editors will do some basic audio stuff.

But don't understand what is wrong with your cords. put the mini ends of all four cords and take a picture for us. Are they all the same? If they are a touch different they may not be going in all the way, or even going in a bit too far. Or use a stereo to mono adapter.

I think it would be easier to mess with the connector than software.

6. marathonbear thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically, the cords must be very cheap (I know at least one was imported from China). None of them work properly. I've played with each of them trying to tweak them to get them to work but no luck. I'm left with, at best, a video with sound coming from just one speaker (because the other audio input is defective).

I've used audacity but the problem is it creates a completely separate file. It's easier to create a movie file of some kind by using the cord where the 2 audio inputs work. I just need some way to either create sound out of both speakers with the video/1 audio cord or combine the stereo I create with one cord with the video by the other.

With all that's out there it seems like something I should be able to find. It's been tougher than expected tho.

7. mijail macrumors 6502

I don't get at all what you say about defective cords. Are you talking about only connectors and wires? I doubt even in the worst place in China they could do that badly :p. Sounds rather like the problem is closer to you.

Anyway, you asked for software: Quicktime Player 7 (with Quicktime Pro; I am in Snow Leopard, don't know about Lion) can do that, look at Edit | Add to... . Apart from that, transcode, mencoder, ffmpeg all are open source and capable of "putting together" audio and video tracks. All of them are command-line, though, but there are GUIs for some of them; try with FFmpegX for example.