Program to see how long you've been running on battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Koning, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Koning macrumors member

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there is any program which can be used to monitor how long you've been working on the battery (I mean, after detaching it from the charger).

I'm asking you this because on a lot of occasions I grab my laptop, do something for 40-50 minutes, do something else, then use it again. It's quite hard to keep track of the time I get out of the battery and I doubt that I get even close to the 7h displayed on the box, even though my battery health is still on 96%.

Thanks in advance!

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

The computer will tell you how long it expects to last on battery...somewhere. I dint remember where though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

If you need any detailed information about your battery, take a look at Coconutbattery.
    http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/
    Also, you can try Geektool and insert a command which allows you to see how many hours the computer has been awake, RAM status, CPU, etc.

BTW, I must tell you now that 7h doesn't mean you'll get 7h from what you are doing. What Apple does is 70% brightness, Safari, Pages, and that's it. That's how you get 7h, at least. Plus, you've said that you use the computer, do sth else, and come back. Do you mean you sleep the computer or keep it running?

4. Koning thread starter macrumors member

I let it sleep. I find it strange that it's so difficult to find a program doing this... Coconut doesn't offer this service and I have iStat Pro installed at the moment (which also displays uptime, but not how long you've been working on just the battery).

Furthermore, I don't have a whole lot of things running. Just some basic organizing stuff most of the time (iCal, Contacts) and safari, mail and iTunes. Should this have such a big impact? I'm at 50% now with 2:35h running screen brightness at 50%. Furthermore I see almost no difference in battery life switching from 20% brightness to about 60-70%.

5. poca macrumors newbie

6. Enori macrumors member

7. Philflow macrumors 65816

I would love to find such a program too. In Windows it's called Batterybar.

Does this tell you the actual run time?

Not practical.
    I'll try that.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 7hours on the box is in perfect conditions with a brand spanking new machine with barely running anything on it.

You're not going to reach it, and I don't need an app to tell you that. Expect roughly 5 hours.