Program to transfer files from one mac to another in different locations..any sugget?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elvtnedge, Nov 3, 2008.

1. elvtnedge macrumors regular

My brother and I both have MBP's and we want to transfer large music files to eachother across the internet. Is there a program to do this? Don't know if FTP is the answer or not. I know with ichat the transfer rates are pretty slow and transferring a large recording file could take a while.. any ideas?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dropbox is pretty excellent.
    www.getdropbox.com

Watch the little tutorial video (only a minute). Gives you a perfect feel of what this great program does. The free version only gives you 2 Gb though, so not sure how big your music files are. If not then I do suggest FTP, its fastest and can probably offer the most space.

3. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

that program does look neat however Ive tried FTP before and we couldnt connect when he was on a PC and myself on a mac...

any ftp tips if this program doesnt work out?

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I suggest reading up on how to use SCP, since it comes with almost every unix-like OS, and does not require installing/running extra applications.

5. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

I tried last night and couldnt get FTP to work with him logging in using fetch. I then tried AFP from the same filesharing menu in OSX and I was atleast able to connect to myself for test purposes... is this a good method?

6. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I really wouldn't use AFP over the internet.

You haven't given us much detail of your combined setup.

Is is Mac to Mac, PC to Mac and what are each of you using to connect onto the net. Do you have routers with firewalls?

I sensible guesstimate is you have something like this.

YOU BROTHER
    Fetch-osXFirewall--Router----Internet----Router--osXFirewall-FTPd

Note you each probably have 2 firewalls to deal with. OSX's and the routers with the router also doing Network address Translation.

So on whichever box is going to be the server, you'll need to add a router FW rule to allow TCP connections on ports 20 & 21 (FTP) mapped to the internal IP address of the server machine. You can do this in the router web interface.
    Secondly in control panel you will have to permit inbound ftp access also.

Note 1 big caveat FTP is unencrypted, your/brothers password is being sent via clear text. This is not good. Personally i would do the above but only for port 22 which is SCP/SFTP This is at least encrypted.

Regards M.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Oh you're talking about doing FTP as a computer-to-computer setup? Yeah thats a bad idea, mainly cause it will take fooooorever. Same thing with AFP. Basically any computer to computer transfers will be mega-slow mainly due to bandwidth problems (this includes SCP as recommended by someone else).

Dropbox works well because there is a server involved that allows for fast upload and fast download speeds. And it works flawlessly across any OS. Seriously give it a try. It takes seconds to setup.
    As for using FTP, I still can recommend it but mainly if you have some purchased server space to upload to. This will really help the upload/download speeds.

8. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

What speeds can you get with drop box?

basically we both have MBP's.. I have a linksys router and he has apple express...

I just remember when I had a PC.. I would use serv-u. I would set the folder I want to share, set the username and password and that was it.. my friends could log in and share files..

that is what Im after...

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Whatever speeds you have at home are the only limiting factor really. At work I get speeds of around 30 - 200 kbps, and at home I usually get 500 consistently. Have you looked at the demo movie? it has public sharing available in case you want to share with friends too. Its very simple to do.

10. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

I saw the video but they never mentioned speeds... the question I have is wouldnt my files be stored on a server which is less safe than FTP via my own harddrive?

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

FTP is less safe because there is no encryption whatsoever. You'd have to use SFTP of SSH to ensure security. Dropbox has secure servers, your data is fine. Is this data sensitive stuff? Zip it with a password then.

Ultimately if you use FTP you'll be hanging around for a while. Up to you man.

12. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

but if we are both on highspeed internet with 1 mbps upload wouldnt that be a pretty fast FTP?

I do appreciate your help so thank you for that.