Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I am new to all this video stuff and this has been a big project, Im still feeling my way around to preserving all these old videos.

I have a bunch of family video's and old TV stuff I converted to digital with an elgato usb capture dongle. The VHS tapes they came off wasn't the best quality and I'd like to trim the files w/o loosing quality.

I originally thought I could use iMovie to do this, but the resolution of the tapes were only 640x480, and iMovie wants to upscale everything to HD. Plus when I render the final files I am processing the files again and loosing even more quality.

Whats my best bet for chopping these files into smaller shows w/o loosing even more video quality?

Is there any software out there designed to clean them up?

Macomatic

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
I highly recommend this program:
http://www.videoredo.com/en/Products_TVSuite_V5.html
because you can edit videos and maintain the same encoding and format as the original. It only re-encodes the Group of Pictures around the edit points (just a few frames), otherwise it copies the original stream unless you request a transcoding of the entire video.

Unfortunately this is a Windows-only program. It and DVBviewer are the main reasons that I keep a Windows 7 machine in addition to my Macs. There are simply not any programs for the Mac which are as good, and I am normally a proud Apple customer.

purpletalon55

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2017
I highly recommend this program:
http://www.videoredo.com/en/Products_TVSuite_V5.html
because you can edit videos and maintain the same encoding and format as the original. It only re-encodes the Group of Pictures around the edit points (just a few frames), otherwise it copies the original stream unless you request a transcoding of the entire video.

Unfortunately this is a Windows-only program. It and DVBviewer are the main reasons that I keep a Windows 7 machine in addition to my Macs. There are simply not any programs for the Mac which are as good, and I am normally a proud Apple customer.
agreed, I am a happy apple customer now I wasn't for the longest time a apple customer I keep my windows pc around for gaming, nothing more. Because Macs suck at gaming and aren't for gaming. Otherwise I would never own a windows pc again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.