Program to trim old family videos w/o loosing quality...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gpspad, Mar 30, 2017.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502

I am new to all this video stuff and this has been a big project, Im still feeling my way around to preserving all these old videos.

I have a bunch of family video's and old TV stuff I converted to digital with an elgato usb capture dongle. The VHS tapes they came off wasn't the best quality and I'd like to trim the files w/o loosing quality.

I originally thought I could use iMovie to do this, but the resolution of the tapes were only 640x480, and iMovie wants to upscale everything to HD. Plus when I render the final files I am processing the files again and loosing even more quality.

Whats my best bet for chopping these files into smaller shows w/o loosing even more video quality?

Is there any software out there designed to clean them up?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

No clue on the clean up but for the cutting up Avidmux will do it using its copy of both the audio and video streams when saving the portion you want to new file.

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

3. Macomatic macrumors newbie

Macomatic

I highly recommend this program:
    http://www.videoredo.com/en/Products_TVSuite_V5.html
    because you can edit videos and maintain the same encoding and format as the original. It only re-encodes the Group of Pictures around the edit points (just a few frames), otherwise it copies the original stream unless you request a transcoding of the entire video.

Unfortunately this is a Windows-only program. It and DVBviewer are the main reasons that I keep a Windows 7 machine in addition to my Macs. There are simply not any programs for the Mac which are as good, and I am normally a proud Apple customer.

4. purpletalon55 macrumors member

agreed, I am a happy apple customer now I wasn't for the longest time a apple customer I keep my windows pc around for gaming, nothing more. Because Macs suck at gaming and aren't for gaming. Otherwise I would never own a windows pc again.