Program to write math equations?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrono1081, Aug 26, 2008.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hello,
    I need to be able to write math equations that I can save to a pdf. Pretty much instructions on how to do different problems. I will need graphs, and all the math symbols that are out there. Does anyone know of a program that has this for mac? I need to create equations and the solutions to those equations. (Almost like writing a math book)

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Unless your graphs need to do something insane, then the program called Numbers in the iWork suite should work for you. In terms of having all the glyphs necessary to write out complex math equations, those characters are all built right into OS X. For example, open up TextEdit, go the the Edit menu and select "Special Characters." There you'll find every character under the sun, and you can save frequently used characters in the "favorites" area.

EDIT: also, don't forget about the awesome graphing program built into OS X! Do a spotlight search for Grapher. This makes typing in equations a breeze as you can insert the characters right from the keyboard without having to select characters from a palette. And also, obviously, it graphs stuff too.

http://macapper.com/2007/05/18/grapher-an-os-x-secret-gem/

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

If you want to go Pro, LaTeX is the way to go, so I second this. You will need to learn how to use it though. But there are some good books out there.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In addition to MathType, MathMagic (latest version released yesterday, 25 August 2008, but website is inaccessible today), MathEQ Equation Editor, and LaTeXiT (free WYSIWYG editor that requires a teTeX installation.

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Much as I prefer to use LaTeX for most mathematical typesetting, I think if you've already got some version of Office you're might be best off using Word and the (free, built-in) Equation Editor. (MathType is effectively a paid extension of that built-in Equation Editor.) You could generate the graphs you need using Grapher (in your Utilities folder, and which is really simple to use), and then export your graphs as images to be added to a Word document.

LaTeX has a pretty steep learning curve, and unless you need your output to look like an academic journal article you might be just as happy with Word.

9. iamvexed macrumors member

Here's another vote for LaTeX.

While there are indeed a lot of good books out there (I like Gratzer's books), and there is a steep learning curve, the LaTeX community is very helpful. Typically, a quick google search of a particular problem will yield help, if not an example of how to do something!

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Another possibility would be MATLAB for OS X. They offer a free CD trial. :)

I don't know exactly what you need to do, so some or even most of the functions in it may not be needed.
    Then again, it may be ideal. ;)

If you're willing to run windows, MathCAD would also be a possibility.

11. Darsh macrumors member

Openoffice.org has a pretty good formula maker, and you can export to PDF easily. It's free, plus WAY easier than using LaTeX.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ummm... no, numbers isn't really a serious graphing program. You'll need a much more high-end graphing system to generate the sort of graphs that go into a math textbook.

13. mac.v21 macrumors newbie

MathMagic supports PDF as well

You may want to try MathMagic equation editor, although it does not have the graphing capability.

www.mathmagic.com

It allows you to copy as PDF(so that you can paste it into other OS X applications), save as PDF.

The equation quality is very good as many tech book publishers are using this software.

You can copy as(or save as) EPS, PDF, PICT, JPEG, Plain TeX, LaTeX, MathML, Wiki TeX, ...

So it can be used as a math hub software.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Keep in mind that none of these equation editing systems (LaTeX, MathMagic, etc.) will graph anything for you. You'll need to use something like Mathematica, Maple, Matlab, or if Grapher will work for you, you could use that.

15. acxz macrumors regular

For the sake of another alternative, Office for Mac 2008 contains a very easy to use Equation Editor.

[​IMG]

16. kapitalist macrumors newbie

Microsoft Word for mac

insert > equation

hidden feature I guess....

17. YB24 macrumors member

Dordogne-France http://y.barois.free.fr/grapher/
    Math expressions

Bonjour Chrono1081,

1) Very easy and fast if using Applications / Utilities / Grapher.app for rather simple math expressions :
    - type your math expression as you write it by hand (same signs) ;
    - select in the equation editor, copy, then paste into TextEdit or Pages, Word, etc. ;
    - it’s a picture you may modify as usual (not in TexEdit).
    Grapher is very good for curves, surfaces and a lot of tasks.

2) The best is MathType, all kinds of maths expressions, easy but slow, very convenient with Apple’s iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote). Download MathType (free), full demo for 30 days, then MathType Lite for life, as good as the Microsoft’s Equation Editor.

3) There is an Equation Editor in Microsoft Office : it’s an old MathType Lite.

4) I hate the Latex language ! I can’t learn a new mathematical esoteric language, too old for that !

Au revoir, YB24

PS. Every thing about Grapher.app, free, on :
    < http://y.barois.free.fr/grapher/Bienvenue.html >

18. adisquare macrumors newbie

Brisk

I know this post has been around for a while.
    But has anyone ever tried a Mac app called "Brisk"?
    (Available on the Mac App Store)

They have a screencast and screenshots over at their website too,
    http://www.chocomoko.com/brisk

What's your review?

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Members generally resent having people pretending to ask question about their own products. If you want to use this forum for advertising, then contact the owner for his rate sheet. Do not attempt to insult our intelligence.

20. adisquare macrumors newbie

I apologize for any misunderstanding. I am not a programmer at all (I wish I were).
    I was actually asking for other users' opinion on the mentioned app; whether it's a good app or not because I'm thinking about buying one myself. The links provided are just a way so users can find out more about them, in case they have not heard about it, not advertising.
    Another reason I'm curious about this app is also because it's been featured as one of the Educational apps in Apple's website.
    Again, I wasn't pretending nor advertising. I'm just a Mac user (student) who came across into this discussion when Googling about Math Equation for Mac. Sorry for the confusion.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

For $15 USD, it's not a big loss if you try it out and discover it's not that good. ;) Just think of it like giving up a pizza and couple of bottles of soda one night this coming week to cover the expense. :p

And others may be able to benefit from your review, as I suspect you'd be one of the first, if not the first MR member to try it out (if you do). :D