programmatic access to Finder labels X.6.8

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by zeppenwolf, Nov 18, 2013.

1. zeppenwolf macrumors regular

zeppenwolf

Is there [subject line] ?

By "Finder labels" I mean the 7 colors you can attach to a Finder object, the names of which you can adjust through Finder menu "Preferences..."

I can't find any programmatic access, ( I mean, a NS or CF call, not AS ) to these on X.6.8 ( sorry, can't remember which damn cat this is), although I have *some* AS access.

In Applescript I can get/set the "label number [n]" for a Finder item, but I can't get or set the name of it. In the AS Editor's Open... Finder Dictionary, I get this:

label n : (NOT AVAILABLE YET) [!!!] A Finder label (name and color)

PS: On my MBP, the labels are colored from top to bottom like this:

Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Grey

Yet, the "number" of the label, according to AS, goes like this:

0 <no label>
    2 Red
    1 Orange
    3 Yellow
    6 Green
    4 Blue
    5 Purple
    7 Grey

2. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

If you make a smart search that operates on the label, save the search, and Get Info on the smart search, you'll see "kMDItemFSLabel" as part of the query.

There's a lot of info out there if you Google kMDItemFSLabel. Some of it might be useful. I didn't have time to dig into all the suggestions.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The implementation of labels (and tags in Mavericks) is discussed in some technical detail in the ArsTechnica Maverics Review. I do not believe there is an API to access the label outside of the standard file meta data APIs...