Programming against design, who is the best?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by ArtUA, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ArtUA macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Recently I had a bet with my friend and colleague at the same time :)
    He is a programmer and he was telling that application doesn’t necessary require the good design. It can go without.
    What would you think?

2. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Every program with human interaction has design. It might just be very bad design.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

i think your friend is an ignorant fool and should not be a colleague of yours.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This issue was settled back in the 1980s. Your friend's comment is profoundly ignorant.

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

You can use programs w/o good design, like many windows apps, but you wouldn't enjoy it or be tempted to ever use it again. Likewise, a program with great design that does little would be enjoyed until the end user wants to do anything outside the features of the app.

6. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Good idea, we can all go back to DOS, Telnet, and Pine Mail. Fascinating idea. Maybe we can move MR back to a bulletin bored (bbs).

7. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

If your friend is of the 'it was hard to program so it should be hard to use' persuasion, tell him to read Why Software Sucks

8. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

A good example of what happens with no design: Lotus Notes!

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

Many programs don't need any kind of visual design at all. For example your car has a computer inside the controls the air/fuel ratio and monitors the engine. Not much need for graphic design.

I'm working on rocket telemetry software right now. No graphics there either. In fact only a smaler subset of all software runs on desktop computers and most of that has no graphic, even inside Apple's Mac's most of the code does stuff like move the heads on disk drives and convert PDF files to Epson printer language and what not.

Graphics is kind of like the tip of an iceberg, the 2% that end-users can see.

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

If it doesn't have a gui it just has to be good enough! LOL

Make code pretty takes too long!

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

A-*****-MEN.

Your colleague is a hack. When people like him get too much power in engineering departments it kills companies by slow poisoning. Pretty soon your product management team is having to come up with "lock-in" strategies just to compensate for the fact nobody but a masochist would ever want to use your product.

I bet he kicks back usability bugs with "works as specified" too. I just know the type.

12. ArtUA thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!
    Wow, there are a lot of comments. I'm surprised Thanks
    Such kind of discussion is a normal thing between programming and designing departments in our studio (artua.com). I liked your posts and certainly I'll drop them to him:)