Programming in Objective-C 2.0 -- 2nd or 3rd?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by nick7138, Mar 15, 2011.

1. nick7138 macrumors member

I am a total noob to objective c and any other programming language that is related. I have read reviews that this is is best book for me. However, I see that a new version is coming out in June. I want to get started ASAP, but I also want to have a book that is up to date. Any suggestions on which copy would be better?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The third edition has been delayed at least twice. IIRC it was originally scheduled for release in December 2010 and then March and now June. When it will actually come out remains to be seen. (EDIT: I checked my pre-order status when I ordered in December, it was scheduled for Feb, then late April, then mid May and now June).

Pick up the second edition and resell it on Amazon when the new one comes out.

B

3. jktress macrumors newbie

4. nick7138 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much! I just ordered it from Amazon. I'll go to Barnes and Noble when the new one comes out to see if it's worth the upgrade. Thanks for the quick replies! :D

5. larswik macrumors 68000

nick7138, Just want to toss this out there. If you are a total noob you might want to start with a language that is a little easier to learn. I started with that book and got lost. I then moved over to C and read the book 'Learn C on the Mac'

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-C-Mac-Dave-Mark/dp/1430218096

If you start to get lost take a step back and learn C first. Objective-C is an Extension to C. I am just now starting on Objective-C too and am better prepared for it. Also I am taking a Pascal programming class at my local city collage, I am 40 but not the oldest in my class.

-Lars

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

nick7138 I think the take away message is that everyone learns things differently. For larswik and cybrscot, two recent posters here, Kochan didn't work as a first book for one reason or another. They both switched over to C though I would encourage you to try Kochan, if you get lost, try larswik's suggestion before you try the book that cybrscot is using. (Check out their threads to see why.)

Even if you don't get lost, I think that digging a bit deeper in C is appropriate when you get to about the end of Part II in Kochan, just before he is set to introduce Cocoa and Cocoa Touch.

B

7. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Disagreed. The author wrote the book in the mind that the readers have not learned any programming languages beforehand. You can read more at the author's website, here.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just because that was the author's intent, doesn't mean it is effective for everyone. cybrscot found and others have found it less than engaging (boring).

B

9. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

I'm a 3rd of the way through 2.0 and its very good so far! :)

Ideal for a n00b with no previous experience! :)

10. larswik macrumors 68000

Everyone learns at their own pace. I got about 1/3 into the book and hit SELF and pointers and I began to check out mentally. The book for me was boring. I even spent $60 or so and downloaded all the videos that went over the chapters when he was talking to the camera. That was also boring.

Is it a good book? -YES.

Is it good for everyone? -NO

Learn C on the Mac worked for me and this forum helped me when I got stuck. The point is, if you get stuck and it is hard to understand or boring. Switch to a different book or step back to C.

11. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

You are also right :). I have some knowledge about C (learned it when I was in high school), so I found this book somewhat easy to understand. Everybody is different, but I would still recommend going straight off to this book first. Step back to C if there's something that seems confusing, as stated by the previous commenter.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Likewise, I think when Kochan's approach does resonate with the reader they will likely make a decent Objective-C 2.0 programmer. When it doesn't, they may have a longer journey and tougher row to hoe.

Doesn't mean they can't make it, just means more/different effort is required.

B

13. mtaber macrumors newbie

Just a quick note to anyone interested: the 3rd edition of Programming in Objective-C will definitively be out next month (June 2011).

Since the book uses Xcode in several of its examples, we had to wait until Xcode 4 was released and out from NDA before we could finalize the manuscript for this edition.

So if you intend to use Xcode 4 and can wait a month, you can now safely pre-order the third edition and depend on it arriving in June!

Mark Taber
    Pearson/Addison-Wesley

14. jtara macrumors 65816

If cost is enough of a factor to force you to choose, why not order a USED book?

(I realize it's too late, since you already ordered the book.)

I've ordered a ton of used books through Amazon resellers with great results. It's especially good for "mature" titles like this. In fact, sometimes it's the only way to get them. ("Cocoa Programming", Anguish et al, for example.)

And save money on the new edition by ordering a digital copy only, if available, typically directly from the publisher.

15. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

I was going to wait for the 3rd Ed. too but wanted to get started on it so instead of getting the actual book and paying bigger bucks, I got the Kindle e-book on sale for about $15. I use it on the iPad and MBP at my desk. Works great. Can't highlight and make notes though.

When the third comes out I'll spend the bucks then. Although I still might get the e-book version also. Getting used to learning that way.