Programming in Objective-C or Objective-C 2.0?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by bmw000, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bmw000 macrumors member

I am a beginner for Objective-C and iphone programming. I have done .ASP some PHP and VBA for MS Access.

I have read around and the same book keeps coming up as a good first book to learn Objective-C before trying any programming for the iPhone specifically.

The book is Programming in Objective-C by Stephen G. Kochan. I also noticed there is a later version Programming in Objective-C 2.0.

Which one should I get knowing I will move to programming for the iPhone?

Thanks in advance.

2. skochan macrumors regular

The first edition is out of print, so you don't have a choice (unless you go for a used copy)! Go for the second edition, as it contains the new features added to Objective-C 2.0, is more Mac-oriented than the first edition, and will also get you started writing an app for the iPhone (but is by no means an iPhone programming book; you'll need a separate text for that).

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

3. bredell macrumors regular

Have you checked out the books by Apple?

The Objective-C 2.0 Programming Language
    Objective-C 2.0 Runtime Programming Guide
    Objective-C 2.0 Runtime Reference
    Object-Oriented Programming with Objective-C

All of them are updated and seem to be quite good. They can be downloaded as PDF files from Apple. All the books can be found on this page:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/navigation/Topics/General/index.html

They're available on the web and as PDF. If you open a book, there's a link in the upper left corner to download the entire book as PDF.