Programming Text Editors

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Not Available, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Well... I know it's a question which has been discussed a lot, but I couldn't find something to satisfy my needs.

I want a text editor which is going to be used exclusively for programming, mainly HTML/CSS/JS/PHP/SQL, so syntax highlighting has to be on the features list. I'd also like it to be free, to include tabs, and to be as configurable as possible.

I tried TextMate, which is awesome, but I need something free, no doubts about this. I tried vim, but the command-line is not really something I'm familiar with, and for that reason, I sometimes lost the mood to program. I tried TextWrangler, and I can't remember much, for some reason, I know I trashed it.

Any ideas?

2. Catch-22 macrumors newbie

Try Emacs. There's very few free ones out there actually. If you're looking for something decent then you're going to have to fork out some moolah.

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

If you liked TextMate, why not just buy it and be done with it. I haven't found anything that is as good and IMO it's not exactly expensive.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Since you like Vim, you may be interested in MacVim. It gets you out of the command line and does tabs.

I personally enjoy using BBEdit (TextWrangler's big brother). It's lightweight and supports AppleScript execution as well as a fully customizable menu shortcuts. It doesn't do tabs, but keeps documents in a single window (or multiple if you want). I find it easier than tabs personally, especially when I have 20+ documents open.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh...Textmate does have tabs. Why'd they hide them in Project mode? That's stupid...