Programming the right button on my two button mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jacquelyne, Sep 12, 2008.

1. jacquelyne macrumors newbie

jacquelyne

Hi guys,

I have a dumb question, but I've also stumped all (three) of my Mac friends, so I thought I'd come here.

I'd like to program my mouse (a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000, in pink) so the right button acts like a right button would in Windows.

I know there's a way to do it, because I set it at some point so the right button reveals the desktop. But I can't figure out for the life of me how I did that! And searches just turn up all the old articles about Apple coming out with a two-button mouse.

If anyone can tell me how to program the right button on my two button mouse, I would really, really, really appreciate it. It's kind of driving me crazy.

Jacquelyn.

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Is it not under System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse?

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Just download Microsoft's OS X drivers for the mouse. It'll install a preference panel in system preferences where you can select what buttons do what. I've done this with the exact same mouse.

Here is the link where you can download the drivers:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK

EDIT: You said that you set it to reveal the desktop so it's possible that you already have the software installed. If that's the case just go to System Preferences and under "Other" select Microsoft Mouse or something like that.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Or go under system preferences and choose expose. Make sure that the 2nd mouse button is not selected for an action there. It sounds like it is.

5. jacquelyne thread starter macrumors newbie

jacquelyne

You guys are magic

You guys are magic. Thank you so much - it'd been driving me up the wall for weeks, so it's awesome to post here and have the answer in a couple days. 11800506's advice was perfect; I downloaded the software and poof! Problem solved!

Thanks again!