Programming

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by thepcnoob, May 2, 2012.

1. thepcnoob macrumors newbie

So to cut the story short I am a 14 year old Computer Science student who bought a MBP dead cheap and sold it for a gaming rig. I am beginning to regret it and am starting to think that Mac's are better for the kind of programming I want to do. I want to buy a MacBook Air and am wondering if it would be any good for programming?
    (Please don't make any comments about me wasting my parents money, I do earn all the money I use to buy computers.)

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The MBA is more than powerful enough for any kind of programming that you're likely to do, unless you're John Carmack Junior. You won't have any problems.

3. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

No problems, you can do all the programming you want. More than enough.

4. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

FWIW, I've got a late 2009 MacBook Air which I use for programming. Solid state drives are a big help in doing builds.

5. jj48 macrumors regular

Yep you'll be fine. I take some programming modules at university (my degree is pure maths though) and it's all I've ever needed.

In terms of power as someone else stated it will be more than up to the task of most programming tasks. And anything that you can't run through OSX (of which there aren't many these days) you can always use a virtual machine to Win7 or something.

6. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I program php, java, rails, grails, iOS apps, and android apps on an Air. Have used both an 11" core duo and the 13" sandy bridge. Both were great.

Used adobe cs5 for some of the related graphics work. Also fine.

Used MySQL sever via MAMP. Not slow at all.

Netbeans for java could be a little slow but that was most likely Netbeans, not Mac.

I actually preferred the 11" core duo air because it was quieter.

7. thepcnoob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replys so fast. Do any of you know if you can buy an air in the states and bring it back to the UK?

8. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Re: your first question, the MBA's have "real" chips in them, not some crippled Atom-like CPU in them, so I would think for most of your programming needs, you would be fine.

Re: your second question, are you concerned about warranty? or about avoiding customs taxes/tariffs? I would think you would be able to get away with it, I just don't know if the warranty would be honored in the UK if anything went wrong.

Are you ok with a US keyboard?

9. thepcnoob, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

thepcnoob thread starter macrumors newbie

That should be fine, I'm just trying to get it a little cheaper.