Programs Closing Unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rdd153@psu.edu, Apr 15, 2007.

1. rdd153@psu.edu macrumors newbie

I have a 12 inch powerbook g4 1.33mhz and for the first time, since i purchased this laptop, its been acting up on me. Every program closes unexpectedly.

Safari acting the worst, after 2 minutes of surfing it constantly closes. I've tried repairing the permissions on my laptop, but that seemed to prove useless. I've created another account, and this problem persists on that account as well.

Here is a list of programs that I have used and closed unexpectedly: Mail, Firefox, Safari, Iphoto, itunes, ical, AIM and some others.

Can anyone help me out and tell me what the problem could be? How can I fix it? I am hoping I dont have to restore my hard drive if i dont have to.

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Have you been doing/installing anything different/new? I hope it's not the 10.4.9 update...soo many bad things happened to me because of it. well, maybe not *that* bad but for a Mac...

3. rdd153@psu.edu thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually did install that update. Should I uninstall it? How would I go about doing this?

4. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I don't actually know how to do that...if I knew how, I would have went back to 10.4.8

5. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Take out any additional RAM you have installed. Do a hard drive check if that doens't help. Easiest way to do that is to boot from OS X cd/dvd then repair the disk in disk util.

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

This started happening to me after installing the latest security updates.

7. exorciser macrumors newbie

this has also happened to me. how should i remove latest security update?

8. matthewr macrumors member

Happening to me too

This just started happening to me, too (PB G4 15 inch 1.33 ghz). I've had Safari, Mail, VLC, Azureus and Finder all quit unexpectedly - I think it was happening before the latest security update (that's why I installed it). Right now I'm repairing the HD permissions, then I'll verify the HD, and reset the pram. Anybody out there figure out a way to stop this from happening?

9. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I found the solution to mine. Turns out a third-party haxie called "Slider" was the cause. I removed it and it's fine.