Programs crashing under Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JonezyAlz, Sep 3, 2009.

1. JonezyAlz macrumors newbie

JonezyAlz

Hi All,

I got my eagerly awaited copy of Snow Leopard last Friday and so far am totally and utterly disappointed.
    I dont know if its just me these things keep happening to but, the desktop picture doesn't appear for about 5 mins after its turned on (even though the pictures are stored locally) No big deal really but things like Photoshop keeps crashing when I try and save a PNG file I have created, Chronosync keeps crashing when choosing a folder to back up to.
    Basically lots of little glitches causing a screen to come up saying the program has been shut down and do I want to send an error report...

Is this just me its happening to, everything I have read seems to be praising the new release but Im finding more problems and considering going backward...
    I know this is quite generalised but I dont know if its just my MacBook Pro or not...

2. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

Which Photoshop do you have?
    I was lucky in getting CS4 when I did. I almost didn't get it, but thought that it'll be better then the CS2 I still had at the time. And that won't work on SL, I very much doubt it.

And what is chronosync?

I keep wondering how some people get all of this going wrong. Maybe its just bad luck, or the Apps you have. or something. I'm surprised, I normally have the bad luck. :-|

3. JonezyAlz thread starter macrumors newbie

JonezyAlz

Im using CS4. It was one of those things that was sooo annoying because I had spent 20 minutes each time getting the image right and then go and save and it crashes. :(

Chronosync is a program to sync folders (http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_overview.html)
    I use it rather than the built in one because I can do more with it. I managed to loose my university work 3 times last year so I wasn't taking any chances this time!

I dont know if I should go back to leopard and wait a few months until things get ironed out in Snow Leopard?

4. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

Hmmm. I haven't tried to do anything apart from opening up CS4.
    Though, thats because CS4 doesn't work so well with 2GB RAM and Intel GMA graphics.

Maybe SL needs an update to 10.6.1, or Photoshop. (Which I have never updated since I got it.)

5. Plegaria macrumors newbie

You are not alone......

Hello Jonelyz, let me tell you something, you are not alone my friend. I am the biggest Apple fan you could imagine, but Snow Leopard was a huge dissapointment. Software crashing all the time. I am tired of receiving the message of software quitting unexpectedly. My CS4 applications are a mess, Photoshop and Premiere crash constantly (the only 2 that I have used since I installed SL). Office has been more disastrous than the Titanic. Word, excel, PowerPoint and entourage have been a mess, they crash all the time, specially when I want to save a document. Mainly 3rd party applications are the ones that are crashing but even Apple apps are crashing, specially Preview. I hope some upgrade comes soon to fix some of these problems.

6. snowman789 macrumors newbie

having so many problems

I have all the same problems as all of you. I finally decided to go the mac store and see if they could help me. They thought it was something to do with my Library and the Application Support or Preferences. It seemed to work. I got home...problems are still here.

What do i do know? Why hasn't apple fixed these issues? I've reported every single one, which is probably like hundreds of fails. It is retarded, windows 7 sounds better than what i am experiencing but i will never switch.

I have tried everything: clean install>restore system; clean install>migrate info; clean install> pull over majority of stuff i need. All still have the problems.

I think i am going to do the last thing i can think of = clean install>move over documents and then reinstall everything manually.

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Just remember: There is no spoon.

Don't try to get the Snow Leopard to run smoothly; that is impossible. Instead, realize that Steve has given you a couple of months to practice your meditation. When you are ready, 10.6.2 will appear and your path will be clear.

8. FlyingChange macrumors newbie

Crash, crash crash

Nearly every program I have is crashing with snow leopard. This is my first upgrade with Mac ... since I've only owned my mac book pro for 18 months. I expected it to be easy. VMware Fusion doesn't work in unity mode even with upgrade. Adobe CS3 doesn't work - it crashes continually. Office Suite doesn't work well. Apple says "it's not responsible for 3rd party software" ... well then TELL US THAT NOTHING THAT IS CURRENT IS GOING TO WORK.

My only solution, I'm told, is to TOTALLY go back to a clean slate and load my previous 10.5 OS back on ... which means hours of reloading programs after I've already spent DAYS getting to this point.

9. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Time for your moment of Zen! You could NOT be a blessed Apple user; you could be a Windows user! There, don't you feel better already?
    :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:!