Programs not installing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Darold, May 10, 2007.

1. Darold macrumors newbie

I have tried to instal AIM and Front Row, and neither are installing.

I downloaded the mac version of AIM from the official website (I know tehre are alternatives...what is everyone else using?). When I open the file to instal, it opens up my free trial of Excel with jibberish on the screen.

When I opened the installer for Front Row, I am able to navigate all the way until the actual instalation process before telling me to "Please try again."

I am normally pretty good on computers, but I feel pretty stupid not being able to instal programs. I didn't mind the trouble with bluetooth/macs because both are pretty new to me... Oh well

Thanks in advance for your time in answering what I am sure is a noob question.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

You should definitely use either iChat or Adium. iChat comes pre-installed in your /Applications folder, and Adium is a freeware, multi-protocol alternative.

As for Front Row, if you're running an Intel-based Mac, you already have Front Row installed. If you're on an old PowerPC Mac, I don't believe FrontRow is supported (except for maybe the last G5 iMac).

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Don't use AOL's program. Use iChat or Adium.
    And if your computer can use Front Row it will already have it installed.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

For AIM chat...you can just use iChat or Adium (which lets you combine your yahoo, msn, googletalk, aim all in one app.

Front Row should have come with your Mac. If it didn't, there's a chance if won't install because your machine is not supported.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can't install Frontrow it's built in, you want to use iChat (it's already on your Mac) or Adium to chat with AIM people.

6. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Echo....

.....(((((ECHO))))).....(((((ECHO))))).....(((((ECHO)))))

Yep. Looks like it. :D

8. Darold thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, thanks everyone. I just logged in via iChat. I didn't realize it would run AIM as well. I thought it was similar to netmeeting. How do I open Front Row? It is not on my dock, and when I search for it, all I find is an installer.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The reason why Excel is trying to open the file is that it has that .bin extension, which means that it's in MacBinary format. Macs used to include software to extract these, but Apple stopped that.

Use The Unarchiver or Stuffit Expander (Macupdate link to avoid the spam list hassle) to extract this and other Mac-centric download formats.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You launch Front Row by hitting "Menu" on your remote control. If you don't have a remote control, then you don't have Front Row.

That would be the solution, yes. AIM is so old and out dated though (2003?), it is a waste of time when iChat and Adium are so much better.

11. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

:apple: + esc