Programs suggestion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Emanuele, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Emanuele macrumors member

HI all,

I am in need of some suggestions for some programs for OSX since I am a new switcher (PC -> Mac).

I would need something like Adobe PDF Professional: the only function I need from it is the PDF Optimizer; basically just shrink down the PDF size to a minimum.

Then I would need a program like Photoshop to reduce image sizes and all that.

And finally something long the lines of Dreamweaver. To update webpages and such.

All of the above mentioned programs I have them on my PC which I retired and I cannot see myself spending thousands of dollars for those as of now.
    Therefore...free would be incredibly good for me.

Thank you.
    Emanuele

2. gojaromeiginla macrumors member

As far as the photoshop equivelant, you'll need the Gimp. It's free, and does almost everything photoshop can do. You'll need X11 to run the Gimp. How this helps.

3. stukdog macrumors 6502

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

You're right, the full cost of these programs is prohibitive, although Adobe may do a cross-grade to the Mac versions for less cost.

If you haven't found MacUpdate yet then it's a great site to get info about various applications and comments from users. I'm not familiar with PDF optimization, so I'm not sure I can help with that one.

For image editing, then Graphic Converter is pretty well featured. iPhoto can cope with moderate requirements and if all you need is cropping and resizing then ImageWell is great.

For moderate website work you could take a look at RapidWeaver

5. Emanuele thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much to all of you guys! :)

I'll look into GIMP...I have used it for Linux a long time ago, and did not remember it comes for OSX as well!

PDFLab: I have downloaded and installed this application but i cannot seem to find the function that compresses the PDF file?

Imagewell is perfect for what I will need to do! Thanks!!

Rapidweaver: will download that now and will try it out!!

Any other suggestions as far as PDF compressing goes?

Thank you :)

6. Emanuele thread starter macrumors member

Update:

well, to my astonishment Rapidweaver does not seem to open HTML files??

7. baummer macrumors 6502a

For PDFs, you can use Automator to do that. Automator can be found in your Applications folder.

8. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Correct. You use Rapidweaver to build the website, and then publish it to HTML. You make updates within RW and then re-publish. I don't think there's any facility to import existing HTML files. If that's something you need to do then RW is not for you

9. Emanuele thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys!

It looks like I will need to find something else rather then Rapidweaver.
    As far as Automator goes, I have tried the functionality and while it works, I believe it only compress the images on the PDF and nothing else.

:)

Thank you.

10. baummer macrumors 6502a

For your HTML needs: http://www.panic.com/coda/