programs that use the dual superdrives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sejanus, Apr 9, 2009.

1. sejanus macrumors regular

hey guys

my new macpro is here with dual superdrives

I often burn 12-13gb of files - several times a day actually. What I'm doing is burning jpegs from a wedding I've photographed.

Is there any software that will automatically span over both superdrives?

i.e. using Toast to burn these files, it takes 20 odd mins per disc, but only uses 1 drive at a time so you have to put a new disc in half way.

2. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

No, you can't RAID-0 a Cd. Is this for clients or just for your records?

3. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Download the open source "Simply Burn" application.

Set Toast for 1 drive and Simply Burn for the other.

I can't guarantee this will work and you'll have to do the physical file juggling yourself to decide which files go on which disk but it's more likely to work than trying to run 2 copies of toast at the same time.

I think it's a huge oversight on Roxio's part that it doesn't support burning to multiple drives considering it allows you to use the DVD-R/W of any mac connected via ethernet. I'm sure both features are equally useful

4. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Disco http://www.discoapp.com/ has the ability to auto span, but I haven't had the chance to see if it detects both drives, but you could download a trial and have a look.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

6. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

yeah you can definitely use toast to read from one disc and write to another simultaneously - but i can't see a way to span a bunch of files from your hard drive over both discs at the same time.

thanks for the messages so far, checking out 'disco' at the moment to see if it can.

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Another person reports:
    "If instead of burning direct to disc from DVDSP, you create a .dmg on your desktop (File/Advanced Burn/Build and Format/Destination/Output Device = Hard Drive) you can use Disk Utility to set both drives burning the image at the same time." ​

8. grue macrumors 65816

Roxio needs to get their asses in gear and support simultaneous burns. There's simply no way they can justify not having that feature at this point.

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Also I would think just using burn folders in OS X would work fine... No?

10. grue macrumors 65816

Also keep in mind that using twin superdrives on ATA/IDE (for 2006-2008 Mac Pros) might not actually be faster than burning back to back, due to the way the bus is handled. In terms of pure bandwidth it should be able to do it fine, but the real-world usage is drastically slowed. I STRONGLY recommend adding a SATA superdrive in Bay 2 and using the ODD_SATA ports.

11. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

hi tesselator - thanks for your research, I'll check out disk utility as mentioned. I don't think burn folders in os x span discs full stop, let alone over multiple drives :(

grue - it's a shiny new 8 core nehalem rig, does the same apply do you know?

cheers

12. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

This is what I do when I want to burn two discs at a time, it works fine for me.

13. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

eeks I'll have to check that, last time I tried (a fair while ago) it gave an error about not enough space on the recording medium.

14. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Well it's a bit of a manual process.

What I do is put both blank discs in so the two burn folders appear on the desktop. Then drag the files I want to burn into the first burn folder until it's nearly full, and then start that one burning. Then drag the remaining files into the second burn folder and start that one burning.

EDIT: Oh and the Nehalem Mac Pros don't suffer from the ATA problem that the older ones had. Which is why I changed my drives to SATA in my older Mac Pro 2006, they also happen to be faster and cheaper as well.

15. grue macrumors 65816

Should be fine.