Programs & the # of cores they use

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by leftPCbehind209, Aug 25, 2010.

1. leftPCbehind209 macrumors member

As the debate continues re: which is better 6 vs 8 vs 12, I've read many times that more cores are better if your program utilizes the extra cores...

Is there a list that shows the # of cores typical Mac programs utilize?

1) If not, does anyone know how many Final Cut Studio 3, Photoshop, iMovie, mpeg streamclip, roxio titanium use?

2) Theoretically, if I'm done editing a movie in iMovie and am exporting via Quicktime (and iMovie only uses 1? core), does it mean that I should be able to render in Final Cut Pro (suppose it uses 4 cores?) at the same time, without performance loss

3) Extending #2 further, if I use Photoshop and some other programs concurrently too, and they are using an additional 4-6 cores, is that where the benefit of the 12 core comes into play?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Final Cut is single core, only the compressor is multithreaded AFAIK. Some things in Photoshop can take advantage of the extra cores but I would say the frequency is still the most important. iMovie is single-threaded from what I've read.

IMO the 6-core is the best deal due insane clock speed with decent amount of cores.

3. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

In OSX, all programs are multithreaded. The question is; to what extent?

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Just because applications are separated into various threads, doesn't mean that they can utilise the threads provided by the hardware.

5. Ryan P macrumors regular

It is very complicated. Even in C4D, which is normally the poster-child for multi core, I've ran into some scenarios where you are stuck with it processing through things with just 1 core.

6. highdefw macrumors 6502

If you're a vfx/3d artist and know a little scripting, you could use compressor to render several instances of programs like Maya, Nuke, Shake, etc... Every core would be maxed out :)

7. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

There is no rule for Photoshop. While many artistic filters are single-threaded, there are some using up to four cores, while only few max out all 8 cores I have. Some examples:
    Gaussian blur: 6-8 cores, but smart blur: 1
    Shadow/Highlights: 4
    Smart sharpen: 3-7, unsharp mask: 2
    Hue/Saturation: 4
    Lens Correction: 1

More core help sometimes, fast cores help all the time.