Programs to aid online research

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Smileyguy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Hi,

Are there are cheap (or free) programs or plugins out there to help me collate info as I browse the web? Basically, I'd like something that would allow me to collect webpages, highlight passages that are particularly relevant to what I'm researching and then organise the saved pages easily based on what project/sub-project they're relevant to.

Any suggestions?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Google Notebook along with browser addons that allow you to add material from any web page. I've seen other similar software, but the name of them is not coming to me.

Here's a resource.

3. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I think Evernote might be ideal for this. Each 'notebook' would be a different 'project' for you. The free version should work for you with 40MB month upload (that's a huge amount of web clipping especially if its mostly text).

It's an easy app to fall in love with.

4. steveoc macrumors regular

Zotero is a free Firefox plugin that allows you to collect, manage, and cite info acquired browsing the web. It also handles pdf files.

If you use the 2.0 beta you can also synchronize zotero across computers

Your data is stored on your computers so you are in control.

I've largely gone on to other tools, but Zotero got me started with research software and I still use it now.

It is excellent and free! It is produced by Center for History and New Media, George Mason University.It is sponsored by the Andrew W Mellon Foundation and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa