Programs to back up DVD Movies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winty03, Apr 10, 2008.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

I am looking for suggestions to back up my kids DVD which are being trashed. I am using MTR 3.014M to rip the DVDs to the hard drive of my mbp. Working perfect playing it on the mbp using DVD Player on Leopard. Which software recommendation would you guys have for creating (burning) exact DVD copies of the backed up movies? I have been reading around a bit and a lot of people seem to like Toast 8. Is this what I need? Of course they are all named in folders as MTR does with the Audio and Video TS folders. I am looking for the best and easiest way to do this. Don't mind spending $$ just want the most streamline way, being able to burn single and dual layers and also compress dual layer discs to single layer. All options. Does ripdifferent.com have a walkthrough? Couldn't find one. Thanks for the suggestions ahead of time.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Many people use DVD2One X to shrink the DVD to fit on a single layer DVD. I don't do this (mine get handbraked for my Apple TV), but I do have Toast and it can burn DVDs.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Toast burns Video_TS folders and also auto compresses to single layers DVDs if you dont want to purchase DVD2OneX. albeit DVD2OneX does a lot better job at compressing.

4. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

So is DVD2oneX solely a compression software? I would still need Toast to burn to disc correct?

5. a4abt macrumors regular

ImToo DVD Copy is a good software to backup a DVD movie. It compresses the original DVD, and then burns it to a standard 4gb DVD.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

7. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

MTR and Popcorn 3? Or a different version? Am I correct.....Popcorn is a slimmed down version of Toast?

8. madmartigan macrumors member

heres the thing you have to remember. Toast and popcorn will not let you burn
    movies with copyrighted protection. You need mactheripper, it alows you to burn a identical image of the disc to your hd, minus the copy protection. Then all you do is use popcorn to burn that image to a disk.

you will get a perfect translation

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I've been able to do this with Popcorn 2. But, of course, Popcorn 3 is newer, has more features, etc. And yes, you are correct. Popcorn is a slimmed down version of Toast. If you don't need all the features of Toast (i.e. Popcorn is sufficient) and want to save some bucks, go with Popcorn.

10. BoostFab macrumors newbie

another thing you can try with free software such as DVDDecryptor and DVDShrink, these are software running under Windows, but you can run these programs through Wine on your Mac OS X.
    http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing

11. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

madmartigan
    In my first post I meantioned I have MTR 3.014. So I think I am ok on the copyright. I am more looking for getting it back to DVD, to give to my kids to use. I don't like DVDDecryptor and DVDShrink seems like too many steps, I am able to use all those on my pc, but I was looking to stream line the process. Sounds like popcorn or Toast 8 is the way to go.

12. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I took the plunge, I bought Toast 8 Titanium. I didn't buy 9 because if some users saying it was buggy. I was really thinking about buying popcorn, since it was what I needed, but opted for Toast because it was the entire suite and I got it for the same price as Popcorn, actually for $30.

13. phatcat macrumors regular

I use a windows program called DVDfab gold. Super easy to use. I run it through VMware on the mac.

14. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

MacTheRipper + VLC

That way burning to DVD is super easy, and the Video TS folder can still be read by VLC as if it were a DVD.

15. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

16. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

DVD Player can read Video_TS folders too.

17. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Ya I had VLC playing my DVD's but "DVD Player" in OS X plays .vob's fine. So I use that to play them on my mbp. It was more I was looking for a stream line (quick and less programs as possible) to get them back burnt to a DVD for the kids. SO we will give it a whril when I recieve Toast 8.

18. asmallchild macrumors regular

on windows, i use dvd shrink

on mac, i use mactheripper and toast 9