Programs to compact the hard disk?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by raymondu999, Oct 4, 2010.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hey all... just wondering if there are any programs to compact the hard disk around for mac os? So that all my data uses up the inner sectors and I have a contiguous lump of free space in the outer sectors?

Thanks

Preferrably free of course :D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is rarely, if ever, a need to do this on Mac OS X.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

The defrag programs only make contiguous blocks. There's very little you can do to control the physical location of files on the disk. What would be the point of doing it anyway? If you are thinking it would be faster, you couldn't measure it and modern disks usually have a buffer anyway.

4. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

My main purpose isn't to compact the disk per se, it's that I need to create a partition and right now I can't because it keeps telling me that some files can't be moved:p

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I was trying to do the exact same thing. I had finally gotten a copy of windows, to install on my MBP, and it returned the same error message. Fortunately, I have just ordered a new hard drive, and before I clone my old drive to it, I will partition it. Therefore bypassing the problem.

6. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I get the feeling I'll have to bite the bullet and format this thing. But then again... I hear iDefrag is able to compact drives:D

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

Drive Genius also has a defragmentation function. Of course you have to boot up from another drive on order to use it. And it takes forever to work on a 500 GB drive that only has 150GB used. However, just to resize a repartition, buying the software, installing it and then running it seems like a little more work than repartitioning the drive, reinstalling the OS and restoring from a time machine backup.
    Your call.

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

iDefrag does exactly what you want
    using "full defrag" it will move all files to one end, while leaving the hotband empty for osx to use, it will also allow you to move files around manually if you want.

9. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds great, will give it a go:D

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

When my dad and I were trying to install BootCamp, we hit the same issue. The only way we fixed it was to restore from TimeMachine and give it another go.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"Hey all... just wondering if there are any programs to compact the hard disk around for mac os? So that all my data uses up the inner sectors and I have a contiguous lump of free space in the outer sectors?"

iDefrag offers a "compact" option along with its other options.

This does what you're looking for.