Programs to copy a DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theduffster89, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theduffster89 macrumors newbie

Is there a (preferably free) application that will burn exact copies of DVD's. I know theres the Mactheripper which excracts the dvd but you have to convert it and use a bunch of other applications to get in onto a DVD. Is there a free DVD coping program out there for a mac?

2. dcubed20 macrumors member

yes, it's called Disk Utility and it comes with your computer

3. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Use finder. I'm pretty sure once you rip the DVD, via MacTheRipper, to the HDD you can just drag the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders onto the DVD and click burn.

Oh and don't forget to clean delete any .DS_Store files from the folders your burning to the DVD. Sometimes it can cause issues with DVD players. I use DS_Store Cleaner for this. It's free and easy to use. Just drag the folders you want cleaned and it will delete any .DS_Store files from them.

4. theduffster89 thread starter macrumors newbie

the Video_TS and Audio_TS files are to big to put on a DVD...And I know there is a program that compresses the files to fit on it but I'm looking for a (free) program that will rip the DVD, Compress the files and burn it all at once.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I do not believe such a program exists.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I know you are looking for a program on the Mac, but if you have Bootcamp or Parallels/VMWare, there is a free program called DVDShrink for Windows.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not if you use dual layer disks. ;)

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, that's an excellent all-in-one solution, I'm surprised no one has made an equivalent app for Mac yet.

As it stands now, here are your best options:

Ripping: MtR, Handbrake
    Compressing: DVD2OneX, Toast
    Burning: Disk Utility, Toast

DVD2OneX and Toast both cost money, but as an owner of Toast I can say that it is worth every penny IMO - very good value.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Sadly, this is the only way I know how to do it with Mac applications too.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is actually what I use whenever I need to burn a DVD9 - they've come down in price a lot (I get mine for about $0.85/disc) and remove the compression step, thus preserving quality (and money for a compression app like DVD2OneX!) ;)

11. theduffster89 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. tssmithaz macrumors newbie

Toast 9 Titanium is my favorite program to use. It cost money though. Not sure how much it is running these days

13. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

DVDRemaster is what you need. It can create an exact copy (although compressed, of course) of your DVD's. If the DVD is protected (encrypted) you can use FairMount to mount an unprotected copy of the DVD and use that one in DVDRemaster.

Both DVDRemaster and FairMount are from the same company.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

DVDRemaster isn't free, it costs $40 for the standard version.

15. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

+1 to both of these! MTR to DL disks- no compression, no quality loss, no additional software required- and as Shard mentioned <$1 per disk with a little shopping.

16. nplima macrumors 6502a

DVDFabDecrypter works great under Windows. I have not tried it on a Mac nor under Wine.

Who wants to copy the whole DVD when you can copy only the main feature and remove region coding ;)

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You still have to compress most movies to fit on a single layer DVD-R, even if you remove all trailers and bonus material.

I always remove the region coding, even if I'm cloning the complete DVD to a dual layer disk without any compression.

18. theduffster89 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow thanks for all the replies...i think im gonna try the duel layer DVD and see if that works

19. gracemac macrumors newbie

gracemac

20. nplima macrumors 6502a

never thought about that, as I keep all my copies of DVDs as ISO files in a hard disk.

21. kalel073 macrumors newbie

DVDFab

DVDFab is the best program thati have ever used, to copy DVD's. The only downfall is thats is its windows only. It Copy's and shrinks all at the same time and any dvd. it also has updates. i bought the full program and haven't had a problem yet with encryted dvd's. I just hope they make one for mac.