Programs to put on a new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tardman91, Dec 4, 2009.

1. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Just got a new Macbook Pro this week and it's my first Mac. I was wondering if there are any "must have" programs or utilities that I should make sure to get for it (preferably free), what they're usefulness is, and where I might find them.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums! You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Apple - Find Out How online tutorials on many topics
    Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
    Switch 101 a tutorial on the process of migrating to a Mac
    Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
    Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
    Apple Find Out How
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    You can find lists of essential applications in this thread, as well as these sites: here and here and here.....and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

iStat Menus - Free - monitors your CPU temp, fan speed, hard drive usage, network activity, hard drive activity, CPU activity, memory usage and so forth.

Caffeine - Free - deactivates your screen saver so long as the coffee cup is full

Dashquit - Free - Quits your dashboard whenever you need to save battery or whenever. click the button, dashboard quits, done.

Quinn - Free - It's tetris :p

LiquidMac - Free - It's free...

Enjoy your first mac! Be sure to calibrate the battery ;)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just type really fast! :D Not! I just have a .txt file of some standard forum responses that I keep in a stack on the Dock.... easy to copy and paste, like the response to the virus question just posted. As you can see, I develop and refine them over time, to be as thorough and helpful as possible.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yeah, I thought about this too, as there are many repetitions around here.

I'm not sure, if I could use a text file and leave it intact and organized though (I'm a bit of a chaotic man), so do you maybe know a software that lets you have topics on the left side, like "video", "Mac Basics" and so forth, problems in the middle, "can't play that basic video", ... , and solutions on the right, "download windows media player do view all your QT movies"?

It can also be the other way around. Just some kind of database software.

Thanks, and have a good response. ;)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know of any software to accomplish this. I just put all the responses in a text file with topic dividers and headings, so it's easy to find what I need in seconds:
    Picture 6.jpg

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

May I ask how big that file is and how many pages of A4 paper it would take to print?
    I have thought about putting an MacRumors answer folder onto the doc, with different text files for each topic, like "video" and so on, as my text file would be quit big over time.

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Congrats on your mac purchase and welcome to MacRumors. You've already been given some good info to research on programs so I won't add more at this point. However, if there are any specific uses or regular tasks for which you want software then let us know and we can be more detailed in our answers about the programs we find helpful for those identified user goals.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Printed, it would only be about 6 pages.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Amazing. I need to start doing that instead of hand typing everything out every time.

12. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Thanks guys. I'm a little familiar with Macs as I have an old POS iBook G4 at work, but I don't really do anything personal on it at all, so I never really get to play. I've been watching the online videos and tutorials and coming here for the past couple of months in anticipation of my purchase. I loaded all my pictures into iPhoto last night and am trying to figure out how to best organize them. Next it's my music library, and then I'm going to start playing with my new hi-def camcorder and making movies in iMovie. I'm really loving it so far.
    I was basically just looking for some utilities/useful programs like the type that MrCheeto suggested. Stuff that might not be as obvious to a new user. Thanks!

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Oh, my pleshuh!

I've been at it for almost a year and I finally have a real good rhythm with all my pictures and music and such. I make videos in iMovie plenty and I gotta tell ya, it's best. I never could make a decent movie until I got my mac ;)

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My carpal tunnel syndrome, combined with arthritis.... well, necessity is the mother of invention! :D

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Whoa, hey now, don't be so harsh! iBooks are great machines and I'm sure it's feelings would be hurt if it found out you said that. :D

16. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Do you think you could add some of your standard answers to the FAQ?