Programs to test Haredware?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trey5498, Mar 3, 2010.

1. trey5498 macrumors regular

I need to know if there is a application that will allow me to test an iMac to see if the video card is bad. I know there are several for windows, but I need it for OS X 10.5

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your OS discs come with a hardware test. It is on the install disc that shipped with that iMac. Boot from your DVD holding down the D key I think.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

4. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that and yet the video card still craps out when trying to play graphical intense games and locks up. Just started last night and the built in one on the operating CD says it is fine.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

By 'craps out' what do you mean? Are you able to post a screenshot? What happens exactly? Also what gen iMac do you have?

Sorry for all the questions.

6. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

usual graphics lock up. Fuzzy lines vertically across the screen, then the entire then locks up requiring me to restart it. When running in safe mode or normal mode just surfing the web it is fine. The moment I try to run anything with heavy graphics ....... Lock up!!

It is too expensive to be just a web browser machine, so I want to test the card to figure it out

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, you're overcomplicating the issue somewhat. Be careful not to rule out simple problems (software issues, bad RAM, etc) just because it looks like a graphics card issue.

That said, what type of computer do you have? If it's a MacBook Pro, not the current model but anywhere from about 1 1/2 years old to 3 years old, you might very likely be suffering from the known problem with the NVIDIA Graphics cards. Of course, the only way to know for sure would be to take it to a repair facility, either an Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center, as the tests for that sort of thing are internal, so you won't be able to get a copy to use. In fact, most hardware tests are internal, aside from the copy you get with your install disks.

I'd say try to rule out software or RAM, then take it in if the problems persist. If it's a MBP with a covered card, you should pay anything anyways, so you'd only lose the use of the computer for a while.

jW

8. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok update:

I have:

Name: iMac Intel (Early 2008)
    Model: Mxxxx iMac Intel (core 2 duo) 3.06GHz
    Group1: iMac
    Group2: Intel
    Generation: 5
    ModelCode: imac_early_08
    CPU speed: 3.06GHz
    Bus speed: 1.07GHz
    Family name: A1225
    Screen size: 24 inch
    Screen resolution: 1920x1200 pixels
    Memory - number of slots: 2
    Factory: QP (USA)

with a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GS video card. I clear the PRAM and NVRAM last night and it seemed to work, for at least 2 hours and it went back to locking up. I did the extended hardware test and it came back clean. I did the disk repair and it came back clean as well. How do I figure out if there is something wrong with the software?