Prohibited sign on .app bundle?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mattww, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

I purchased a game (Broken Sword DC) via Steam and the game runs just fine but the icon in the dock and for the .app bundle has a prohibited sign across it - the same kind you see with a Classic (Mac OS 9) application on Leopard or later. As far as I can see the permissions from the get info are OK the only possible clue is in the terminal doing an ls -al I can can see an @ symbol - which I think has something to do with ACLs?

Any ideas how to get rid of the prohibited sign?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Have you restarted? I've seen that sometimes where it tried to display the icon while it was still downloading, and thus it was invalid and would get that icon, but a restart fixed it.

jW

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd also try doing "Verify Game Data" (it's called something similar to that) within Steam, in case it didn't download properly.

4. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

If the restart doesn't bring any joy, then try rebuilding the LaunchServices database. [or -like we used to say back in the pre-OSX days: "rebuild your desktop".]

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Usually that icon is displayed if the app has never been launched before and was downloaded from the internet. Have you launched it yet?

6. Mattww thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattww

Thanks guys - I've run it a few times without issue and deleted and re-downloaded in Steam. I thought I'd restarted but maybe I just logged out. Got a few things that need to finish but I'll try a restart in case I missed it (will feel very silly if that is all it is!). It is possible that something is going on with the launch services database though as I noticed when clicking on a .png file Camino was listed six times in the "open with" list - can't seem why unless spotlight is picking up copies on my Time Machine drive.

7. Mattww thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattww

OK I've restarted - updated to 10.6.5 and rebuilt the launch services database and the BS1DC.app still shows the prohibited sign :confused:

8. Mattww thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattww

OK I'm resurrecting the thread because I still have the issue but am now pretty sure why.

It isn't due to the quarantine but rather because the finder thinks the application is a PowerPC binary - in the get info dialogue it is listed as "Application" rather than "Application (Intel)" - Steam must go into the package and use the executable directly hence it working. If however you try and launch the game from the .app you get an error message about not being supported on this type of Mac.

Anyone know how to change the reporting to the Finder for the .app bundle to Application (Intel)?