Prohibitory Sign When Using SSD Only.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by howhai, Dec 1, 2014.

1. howhai macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am having issue with my macbook pro (details below) when using an SSD. When I boot up my system it shows the logo and continues to spin until the prohibitory sign shows up. I bought a new SSD, and it works fine for a few days only. Same thing happens to it. This does not happen on non SSDs. I have tested the two SSDs on another macbook and it works fine. I am able to boot up my SSD using an enclosure. I have SquareTrade warranty, but I don't want to send it in and have them tell me it works fine when they test it with non SSD. Any idea what could be the problem? Please let me know if I am missing any other details. Thank you!

System Info:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B09

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like you have an intermittent internal drive cable failure. Family common problem.

3. asriznet macrumors regular

Confirming the details...

- Did you already confirmed "This does not happen on non SSDs" tested on the reported mac?
    - "I am able to boot up my SSD using an enclosure" is also tested on the reported mac?

If yes to both, high likely you have a faulty HDD cable - because of intermittent nature, the company that's providing warranty may need to perform extended testing.

If unsure, hold down option key on startup to view a list of bootable drives(internal or external drives will be shown).

4. howhai thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes to both. When the SSD is in an enclosure, I can boot it up by holding down the option key and selecting the SSD to boot.

Thanks. I will likely send it in for checkup. It works on a regular HDD. I am worried that they'll spend a week on it, and return it without fixing it if it happens only on SSDs.

5. driveparty macrumors member

driveparty

Just for case, have you used the Trim Enabler app, and have you read this article for Yosemite, should you use the Trim Enabler?