Prohibitory sign

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Helpmepls32123, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Helpmepls32123 macrumors newbie

So last night I was just looking on steams for games, then I saw half life 2 and I got it and I waited for it to download then I closed it cause I needed to go to bed and the day after I went on and my mac was really slow then I decided to do emergency shutdown by holding down the power button and then got back on and I saw an prohibitory sign please help me this is a MacBook Pro 2010 - 2011 So thanks if you could help

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Your hard drive has almost certainly died or it could be the SATA cable connecting it maybe both, remove the hard drive and place in an external caddy try to boot from there if it doesn't work then it's the hard drive.

I always reccomend you replace with a SSD as it will make the computer better than new I hope you have a recent back up.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That means that there's it could not boot up from the drive.

Can you boot up on the original system disks that came with the computer and then run the Disk Utility to test the hard drive?

I agree with @Samuelsan2001 that you replace the drive with a SSD at this point.

4. Helpmepls32123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if it has a backup cause it used to be a work computer. But ok.

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

My understanding is this symbol that indicates OSX has been detected but can't boot. Perhaps a kernel extension problem or the you did download is corrupt

.Have you tried booting in safe mode, running the un-installer for the new app if there is one, or delete the app and extensions if you can find them.

Then depending on your OS X version repair permissions.

All else fails re-install the os.