Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Just read this article about the ability to download and read every ebook from Project Gutenberg on your iPad. I'm so glad Apple has allowed unrestricted epub books to sync with your ipad, it opens up a ton of classic books that people can read for free. I know I'm going to download a bunch of classics right after I get my iPad. Maybe I can finally read War and Peace!

http://www.9to5mac.com/node/15215

IChing

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Project Gutenberg books will work on the iPad 30,000 free books

If you don't already know about Project Gutenberg, you should. The site has over 30,000 free ebooks, most of them classics whose copyrights have lapsed. The site includes big-name titles from big-name authors, representing everyone from Dante Alighieri to H.G. Wells. The site's free digital ebooks saved me untold hundreds of dollars while I was doing undergrad work for my English degree.

9to5Mac points out that all of those ebooks should be compatible with Apple's forthcoming iBooks app for the iPad. iBooks will be using the ePub format, and Apple itself has said "you can add free ePub titles to iTunes and sync them to the iBooks app on your iPad." ePub is one of many formats available for Project Gutenberg's ebooks; therefore, it stands to reason that those ebooks should all work in the iBooks app.

However, even if Project Gutenberg's ebooks don't work in iBooks, whether for technical reasons such as formatting or more sinister reasons such as content providers' demands, it won't matter. Project Gutenberg's ebooks are already available on the iPhone and iPod touch through multiple channels -- the Stanza app, and through Project Gutenberg's own site via MobileSafari......

More here".......http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/23/project-gutenberg-books-will-work-on-the-ipad/

I read them now on my iPod Touch but would love a bigger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.