Project iOSx2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pEAcEmAKeR99, Jul 25, 2011.

1. pEAcEmAKeR99 macrumors newbie

So, I posted this on many other forums (iDroid, iFans, etc.) and when I saw how many people are online everyday here, I knew I had to spread the word.

iOSx2 is a project that allows you to dual boot multiple versions of iOS. Dual booting was done several years back, and I brought it back to second generation devices.

During installation, you have to create a partition, copy the raw disk over to it, then restore to it. After that, the iPhone/iPod will be confused, as it cannot boot two softwares with one kernelcache. You will have to send the kernelcache via a jailbreak program or iRecovery. Then, send the commands needed to boot into the third partition, and set permissions to make them bootable. I am telling you this because I do not want to be called a troll.

It is based on sl8900x, meaning it only works on the iPhone 3G, iPod touch 2G [being an exception] (my ports), and (many years back from developers) the 1st generation iDevices. We are working on bringing this to other iDevices with the testers and members I've collected. So far, we are testing on the iPhone 4, the iPod touch 3G, and the iPad 1G.

If you would like to test, please feel free to contact me via email: paperwieghtplane@gmail.com. Or PM me. Just understand that we cannot test on iPod 4G, because many needed commands were taken from iBSS in Recovery Mode protocal x1283. Without those commands, you wouldn't be able to boot into the new partition after restoring.

If you would like to help with development, contact me and you can join our organization on Github. https://github.com/organizations/ProjectiOSx2. We are working on making an automated installation app similar to Bootlace. We are also making a custom OpeniBoot to replace the need for dual booting with Apple's iBoot.

[​IMG]

Some quick links:
    Forum
    Installation instructions
    Repartitioning Tutorial
    Twitter
    App GUI Preview

All (hopefully good) feedback is appreciated! :D And let me take a moment to say what a nice forum you have here! I will be staying here for a while! ;)

2. pEAcEmAKeR99 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Oh this project is still alive? I thought you killed it.

And, what's up Peacemaker;)

4. pEAcEmAKeR99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just because I was banned? Hell no. :p

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

I like the idea but dont understand why this would be useful :/

6. pEAcEmAKeR99 thread starter macrumors newbie

"Sorry, you need to be on 4.1+ to download this app."
    <boots into other partition>
    "Download Complete!"

"Dammit, I shouldn't have updated, needed to try out this hack."
    <installs iOSx2>
    "Impressive!"

Just some examples. :)

7. pEAcEmAKeR99 thread starter macrumors newbie

So nobody here cares that this is the most exciting thing since iDroid?

8. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

you gain nothing by being on an older firmware.

The only reason i see myself using this was to try out ios5beta and keep ios4 jb

9. pEAcEmAKeR99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh?!

Are you really going to say that? I'm sure a lot of members on this forum can prove you wrong in a million ways.

10. Sdevante macrumors 6502

11. pEAcEmAKeR99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that awesome sarcasm. Hey look, that's double sarcasm! Oh wow, now it's triple!

Seriously, I didn't think this forum would be as bad as this. People flame around everywhere, and nobody cares. Nice forum you guys havehere. (OMG. Quadruple sarcasm!)

12. AdrianK, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

Don't mean to undermine you project, but considering iDroid was a complete dud you might not want to compare x2 project to it;)

It does sound interesting though, I'm just not sure that many people would be interested considering the space it would consume and it's somewhat limited uses.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

pEAcEmAKeR99: The folks here of MacRumors really don't seem to care much about in depth hacks like this. Take my FaceTime on the iPad hack for example. I posted it on here and iFans. I only got three pages on here until it died out, but got 50+ pages on iFans.

iDroid is not a complete dud. It works to the best of its abilities and is getting better with each new release.

14. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

re read my post. i edited. it

also, i understand ebing on an older firmware can help. But with things like whited00r there is not as much demand.

15. pEAcEmAKeR99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. Well, I really wish iFans would except me back. :( I've been trying to find a forum as good as theirs, but failed countless times. (This forum is no exception).

16. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

People here are more into customization, not hacks.

Well, you get some sort of Nostalgic effect if that floats your boat

17. pEAcEmAKeR99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why bother with a subforum titled "iPhone hacks"?