Project iPad Magazines by Virgin

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by herbiehancock00, Nov 30, 2010.

1. herbiehancock00 macrumors member

I was quite skeptical with the whole iPad specific magazines, but decided to give it a try to see what it's all about. $2.99 and 20 minutes of download later, I was quite blown away by the presentation of the magazine. The layout is beautiful, controls intuitive, and the way the interactive elements are blended in with the content is quite seemless. I found myself engrossed in it for half an hour. Have to say, great job RB!

One thing to complain about is that the resolution of the text is a bit on the low side so text isn't as smooth as I'd like them to be. Hopefully that'll improve in future editions.

2. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

3. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Tried it yesterday but I'm afraid I don't like it at all. Some very average articles wrapped up in a needlessly complicated UI. Far too much tapping and swiping required to navigate around the magazine. The UK version has a Ford Mondeo ad immediately after the cover and no amount of swiping will get me past it. It also seems to be lacking the option to disable backup when syncing to iTunes, something that Zinio offers. Overall a triumph of style over substance. I won't be buying any future issues.

4. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

What I like is that it is more video centric than the Wired Ipad app. I would love more content like the Jeff Bridges interview that starts with a video on the beach or the Tokyo article.

The interface definitely needs tweaking as it is not intuitive. Wired has the same problem though.

The comment system is useless to me. In general comments on the web that accompany articles annoy me more than they add value. In 99% of the cases they end in flame wars. One of the big drawbacks of web 2.0 is that everyone thinks their opinion should be interesting or relevant to everyone else. But I guess that applies to this post too...:eek:

5. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Some very mixed reviews for Project over on the App Store. The major issue seems to be difficulty downloading/installing the app.

6. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I just disagree with the price 3$ a month.
    Usually if paper Magazine is 5$ and the whole cost to produce it is 3$ or sometimes more than the actual 5$ tag, here the resources used are basically zero compared to the paper covers and they also have ads, I understand they might need it as a business startup but the 5$ Wired asks are shameless...

7. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Sorry, but your reasoning is flawed. The price of magazines is for the most part production values such as editing, investigation, layout etc. A tiny bit of the costs are reproduction. The production of an iPad app should actually be more expensive than a paper app, as the text is the same, but now video and programming has to be done too. 5$ is entirely justified for a magazine such as wired. This thing is hell to make...

8. keen-on-mac-1 macrumors member

keen-on-mac-1

Agreed, the biggest part of the work is definitly to create the content. The cost of the "paper" is nothing in comparison.

9. muddy cleats macrumors member

muddy cleats

I found the Project to be next level in terms of ipad publishing...Way better than Wired. While some argue that it's too much swiping and tapping and they prefer text based magazines.. I'm just the opposite I want new ways to interface information, I like to see companies expanding notions of whats possible...

Content wise I thought it was good, look as with any publication all the stories won't be for all the people...any current magazine has a slant ( Rolling Stone, Vanity fair, Harpers, etc) so it's readers know what to expect. It will take a few issues for the project to define it's perspective. But I'm encouraged by what I saw....
    Bottom line with apps like Project, Flipboard, NPR, my interface and consumption of information has evolved.

10. stil macrumors member

stil

What is the difference between the US, British and Canadian versions of the magazine? Is it the ads only or content?

11. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

12. benh911f macrumors 6502

I'm sure i'm missing something obvious, but how the hell do you switch between issues? I have both issues, but when I launch the app, the newest issue appears, and I cant figure out how to go to the other issue.

13. Double Down macrumors newbie

Deleting Issues

So far, I also like the new possibilities of ways to consume content. No, the articles aren't fantastic, but it's still new, and I like the direction it's heading.

I do have a question maybe someone can answer... how do I delete the first issue? I've already read it and am on issue 2, but don't need the first one hanging around taking up space. Anyone figure it out yet?