Project Management Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Canary1, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Canary1 macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2015
    I am looking for project management software to run on macs. Requirements are:
    - Teams of resources can be added
    - Tasks can be entered
    - Tasks can be assigned to teams
    - The project management tool can schedule the tasks and assign them to team members
    - Tasks can be assigned to individual resources if needed
    - The project can be shared between multiple users

Can anyone suggest a tool that fills these requirements?
  2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    Web based, or app based with cloud syncing?

Do you want reoccuring monthly fees or one time purchase?

Some to look at:

Another spot for reviews:

I use a combination of items:

MS Project and on the Mac side OmniPlan

All of the above reside on a cloud platform that the team has access too.

We did not like the monthly subscription fee so we stayed away from them. But we know a couple of folks who really like them.
  3. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2008
    Oxford, England
  4. RogerMr macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2015
    I assume Conceptdraw Project may fit your needs.

We have macs and PCs and use the same program for both.
  5. campyguy, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

campyguy macrumors 68040

Mar 21, 2014
    Portland / Seattle
    Long-time Merlin user chiming in here. Supplementing the earlier recommendation, I see an issue with the recommendation relevant to your requirements. I'm a Merlin user, not a Merlin Project user - v. 2 vs v. 3 - I haven't moved to the new app yet because the Server (read: multi-user) version of Merlin Project is still in beta testing and isn't available for sale yet; one of the owners posted on Sept. 22 that it's not ready for primetime but they're working on it. Given that, buying multiple single-user licenses will get spendy - I have not contacted the developer for a multiple-license bundle deal; Merlin Server is still for sale, but I don't have an idea of what upgrade terms they'll specify for a new user.

Given the above that I've written, the v. 2 Merlin software is rock-solid and I recommend it. I've not tried the 30-day demo of Project Server. I'm a civil engineer and use it to manage construction and architectural projects. Merlin also has a rabid online support community.

EDIT: FYI Merlin Server isn't certified for OS X 10.11; we're running it on a Mac with 10.10. Also, for Merlin Project as with Merlin, ProjectWizards offers floating licenses - both apps phone home, one can install on several Macs but will only run on the number of Macs that have paid-for licensing.

My second recommendation, a cross-platform product with a server-based option available that some of my associates use is FastTrack Schedule - FastTrack has been around for 15 or 20 years and has always supported the Mac, being around even before OS X.
  6. GerritV macrumors 65816

May 11, 2012
    I've been using Merlin for the past 3 or 4 years, very pleased with it.
  7. Crazy Badger, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Apr 1, 2008
    OmniPlan has just been updated with a stack of new features. Haven't had chance to look at it yet, but the previous version was generally fine as a Mac replacement for MS Project.

I'm not a fan of trying to using a single tool for Project Management, and find a toolkit of different products works better for me.
  8. OldGreyGuy macrumors member

Jan 14, 2014
    Near Brisbane, Australia
    I don't need the server function as I work on a lot of projects as a free-lance PM and many of the folks I work with are all Windows based.

I will say that I did upgrade to Merlin Project (V3) and for me the update was worth it. The functionality is far better suited to me and the way that I work. Exchanging exported files with folks that use MS project is very good and has never given me problems.
  9. campyguy macrumors 68040

Mar 21, 2014
    Portland / Seattle
    If I was a single-person user I'd agree with you, however, I was responding to the OP's two last "requirements", a multi-user environment license situation. I'm in a multi-user environment - Merlin cuts it, but Merlin Project doesn't.

I do like where Merlin Project is going, but they're 10-13 iterations/updates into Project and they still haven't figured out a Server solution for v. 3. To me, a small company owner, that's cause for a pause when breaking out the wallet. I did offer a multiple-license purchase as an option in my OP, but ProjectWizards never got back to me on that or a release date of their updated Server version.

FWIW, Merlin v.2 is a very solid option - I use it every day.